Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I think I may be in a bit of trouble at school : /

(9 Posts)
DoctorFunkenstein Tue 03-Nov-15 15:57:17

We realised yesterday morning before school that we were supposed to choose an item to send in (Y4) for a project about the Arctic. It was supposed to be something for ds to take with him - smaller than a child's shoe box and it didn't way what it had to be - sentimental or useful, I think were the vague parameters and not of value as it would be on display all term.

We cast around for something and turned up an old 'toy' of ds1's which is a clockwork spark maker.

It's not dangerous - though obvs you have to keep it away from flammable substances like petrol, gas etc - and I thought it was basically a toy and the display wouldn't be within reach of the children, or at least that the items wouldn't be played with before being discussed with the teacher in terms of what they were and why they had been brought in.

Ds told me the display was actually put on a low table well within reach and his little friend took the sparking device and was playing with it yesterday - so not having direct contact details for the teacher, (you only get an option for the office and it's a huge school) I told him this morning to go straight to her and explain that maybe it ought to be put out of reach for now.

(I had also googled it, we were given it as a gift, and found it isn't exactly a toy, ahem) blush

He said he didn't get a chance as it was already on her desk, and according to his friend, she had taken it away rather crossly remarking that it should not have been brought in.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'd like to apologise to her but honestly I misunderstood - and she didn't tell off ds - and he still hasn't spoken to her about it - so I assume I am in trouble and he isn't. Which is fine but would you go in and explain, or just leave it?

Am I a complete idiot?

It's not like a cigarette lighter - it contains no fuel and produces a pretty sparky effect but would not burn anything even if you wanted it to probably.

here

DoctorFunkenstein Tue 03-Nov-15 15:58:36

Btw my idea was it could be used for lighting a paraffin stove etc. You would need fuel to start a fire with it.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Tue 03-Nov-15 15:59:40

I dunno on the school front but my ds would absolutely love one of those

Wtfmummy Tue 03-Nov-15 16:00:34

I would grab two seconds with her at drop off tomorrow and explain the misunderstanding smile

DoctorFunkenstein Tue 03-Nov-15 16:02:23

Thank you

I normally drop at the car park but will have to attend I think on this occasion blush

I'm actually a bit scared that they will hate me.

My sister sent this to ds1 when he was about 3 - the year after the plug-in thin glass lightbulb that did lightning effects when you touched it, and the year before the rollerskates.

blaeberry Tue 03-Nov-15 16:06:55

It sounds like something I got dd a couple of Christmases ago from Hawkins Bazaar - ours wasn't clockwork you just pushed a bit in to send a wheel round then sparks flew off. Don't think it would light anything unless surrounded by flammable gas. I would say the teacher was responsible for checking the items brought in were suitable for playing with. Maybe write a quick note saying you didn't realise children would play with it and asking her to give it to ds at the end of the day to bring home.

DoctorFunkenstein Tue 03-Nov-15 16:09:24

Yes, that's a good idea and thank you for saying you got your child something similar, I feel a bit better about it seeing that smile

I did think that other children might bring in equally non-toy based items and that the teacher would keep them out of the way until she had a chance to sit with the class and say 'Now let's have a look at this' sort of thing - or the children would get to show them and talk about them.

It is a nice project, she made them all hot chocolate yesterday smile and they watched the Polar Express, but perhaps this bit needed thinking through a little more, or else, assumptions were made on both sides and I am a bit clueless to have sent it really.

RamblingFar Tue 03-Nov-15 20:15:26

I would doubt the teacher would have room to store 30 different sized objects out of reach until she had the chance to exam them closely. Modern classrooms don't have much storage space.

She probably found or cleared a table or surface somewhere that the chidren could put them until they had time to discuss or display them.

DoctorFunkenstein Wed 04-Nov-15 08:33:51

Yes indeed.

I should have thought - I'd imagine they wouldn't be allowed to play with the things though. What if some of them were quite delicate or fragile?

I have written a note in his contact book apologising and explaining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now