Would you move / changed jobs etc if your son was offered a means tested bursary at 8+?(13 Posts)
put my heart on the school and registered my son but now...thinking not to take exam ( pull out) as I considered that if offered the place - we would need to 1) move 2)change my job, change my husband's job ( commute would be 1.5 hours one way...and we do not earn a lot of money to justify the commute) We were aiming for the bursary place.feel really bad...Thinking: WHAT IF HE is offered a place on a means tested bursary at KCS - would this be worth moving the house and changing jobs etc because of that factor? Please share your thoughts. Thank you.
In a word, no. Why not find some where more local for primary and consider it for secondary. Even if he got a bursary now it would be subject to ongoing review. What if you moved and had to withdraw in a year or two.
Yes. We moved so that our child could have that bursary at a great school. We weren't the only ones. There were a few parents that moved to be closer to school once their child was offered a place.
I think your current 1.5 hour commute into school would not be feasible at all. If you were able to move a bit closer but on a school coach route and still be able to travel to work, would that work for you? Is he trying for any other schools that are closer to you?
You must have thought that it was possible for your son to go to this school at some stage otherwise you wouldn't have applied. At least let him sit for exams and then if he is offered it you can make the decision. Do you have other children to consider? Does the bursary go through into senior school?
You say you put your heart on the school, so is it you that really wants to go to the school or your son? There aren't any more main entry points until 11+ really so entry beforehand is a good way of sneaking in early.
Thomas - did you have 100% bursary to justify the move? Yes, I have a younger DS, It would be too long to commute to my work and to my husband's work. In terms of coaches - perhaps we would have to move still quite away from where we work...My son is note sure which school he wants to go to...he says he does not know... I do not know if the bursary goes into senior - would it be on the website - how can I find out? Is it really bad to pull out in terms of that school having bad feelings with us?
I'm sure people withdraw all the time. Circumstances change. What would you plan for younger dc? A good state school place is not a given especially in SW London.
If you made such drastic changes as moving house and both parents changing jobs, then the bursary would be reviewed pretty much straight away.
Does the school you are after offer 100% bursaries, and if so how frequently? Beware of the phrasing 'up to 100%' because that does not mean they do it often; they may prefer to have 7 or so on 20-50% funding rather than 2 at a higher rate.
Most schools review bursaries regularly, often annually, and there would be no guarantee of it continuing at the same level throughout your DS's school career. If however the senior school is closely linked, it is likely (but not guaranteed) that they would look favourably on a bursary applicant coming from their own prep.
It is never bad to withdraw an application, and it will not be held against future applications, unless you really have dicked the school about and become 'that parent'. Be straightforward: "We wish to withdraw our application for our DS to join the school at 8+ in 2016. We are still very much interested in the school, and hope to reapply for entry later. Is it possible to roll his registration over to (name preferred next entry point) or do we need to re-register?"
my DS1 is in the faith school and we supplementing it with tutoring at home...please do you know if bursary would be transferable to senior school? I am really thinking that this arrangement be till 18 that is why it is so tempting? It ( bursary) would not appeal to me if it was just till 13....
You will have to ask the school.
But remember that bursaries are reviewed regularly (often annually) and are not guaranteed beyond the next renewal point.
Oh dear...that (not guaranteed) really scares me off...so even if our income remains low - the bursary could be cancelled next year for any reasons?
If your income remains low, it is highly unlikely that a bursary would be removed. But that's not the same as being guaranteed to stay in place at the same level. If your income rises, the bursary may reduce. Does the school have a written bursary policy (some publish on the website, others readily available from school)? What does it actually say?
And all awards normally require good behaviour and good effort from the pupil.
I wander whether just to sit exam ( it is 1 week before Colet Court) - if offered 100% then we would worry, if less 100% - reject the place and and if not offered - this would be good practice before Colet Court? Is this reasonable approach? I do not want bad feelings with KCS though if we needed to reject the place
You need to speak to the kcs bursar and ask how many new 100 % bursaries they fund each year and how many in the school overall , plus whether you have to reapply for senior and if so when. Do you really want to be beholden to the school funds for next 10+ years, and having every change in circumstance scrutinised. Isn't Colet Court also a trek from you ?
Would you accept a place at Colet if he was offered it? It sounds like you would only accept or can only accept a place at any of these schools with a 100% bursary. So even though you have your heart set on Kings if another school such as Colet were to offer a 100% bursary you would accept it? Is Colet closer to you?
You know, it sounds like you are unnecessarily worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. IF your son sat all the school exams and passed and was offered 100% bursaries, THEN you can make a choice. If you did pull your son out of the 8+ exams I don't think KCS would hold it against you. There are enough boys all chasing the same places and you wouldn't be the first person to withdraw their son from exams.
Yes my son was offered bursaries at 3 schools. We are a very low income family. The bursars will explain everything to you. It is a very straight forward proceedure. Unless your financial circumstances were to change dramatically or your son behaved terribly at school then the bursary is more or less guaranteed. All the bursars that visited us were very open and extremely helpful in explaining the proceedure. They are used to it, hundreds and hundreds of families apply every year. If you have anything else you are worried about then feel free to PM me. I've been through it all regarding schools and bursaries!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.