Talk

Advanced search

Long shot- but does anyone know the second verse to this song

(12 Posts)
Izzy82 Tue 27-Oct-15 22:23:28

When I was at school, we used to sing this lovely little song about autumn and I can't for the life of me remember the. Second verse. I was telling my class about it last week and they would love to hear verse 2

I know this is a total long shot- but I'd love to know

It goes like this

Leaves on the ground are turning,
Yellow, brown and red.
Smoke from the bonfire burning,
Climbing overhead.
Here comes Autumn to bring the mist and rain.
Summer has gone for another year,
Autumn's here again.

ididyeah Tue 27-Oct-15 22:37:27

That's lovely. I did some googling and I can find your verses but no other lyrics after that...maybe your class could make their own special verse two with ideas from here?http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/3983-autumn-poems/ sorry dont know how to link smile

avocadoghost Tue 27-Oct-15 22:41:44

Oh we used to sing this too! I don't remember there being a second verse though tbh.

Izzy82 Tue 27-Oct-15 23:01:41

Thank you both for replying. We definitely sung a second verse but maybe my teacher made it up himself. Shame I can't ask him smile
You're right, maybe we'll make one up together

dotdotdotmustdash Tue 27-Oct-15 23:49:03

I found this but I'm not sure if it's the second verse of your poem or the beginning of a new poem. Sound familiar?

Falling leaves
All the leaves are falling down,
Orange, yellow, red and brown.
Falling softly as they do,
Over me and over you.
All the leaves are falling down,
Orange, yellow, red and brown

allaboutmanners.wordpress.com/tag/autumn/

TeenyfTroon Tue 27-Oct-15 23:51:36

I'll have a look as I must have the music for this. I remember clearly playing it in the 80s/90s when I was teaching. I keep trying to sing it and 'catch' the second verse unawares, but I can't. Maybe it didn't have one - it sounds complete as it is, but it is very short.
Post your version when you've written it!

TeenyfTroon Tue 27-Oct-15 23:55:59

dotdot that's definitely not it. Funny, I clicked on this thread thinking, 'I'm sure I won't know this,' and now I'm stuck with it. Pretty, lilting tune tho. Just as well as I'll be singing it all night...

Out2pasture Wed 28-Oct-15 06:22:54

was it possibly sung in rounds giving you the impression of a second verse?

mrz Wed 28-Oct-15 08:59:12

www.bigeyedowl.co.uk/show_songs.php?t=50

TeenyfTroon Fri 30-Oct-15 21:57:11

Sorry, given up! I've been through piles of music and I can't find it. Still bloody singing it tho. wink

SummerNights1986 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:22:40

I recognise the words but I can't for the life of me remember the tune - I can't find it on YouTube or similar.

Can anyone link to a YT or audio of the song the op has posted? It's driving me nuts!

Willsy16 Wed 26-Oct-16 19:18:49

We had a second verse to this at school. It included the lines 'look at the conkers growing ripe and shiny brown....here come the children throwing sticks to knock them down.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now