Talk

Advanced search

SAT maths tests and levels...confused.

(37 Posts)
Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 19:18:15

If a child scores 75% on a key stage one maths paper what level would this translate to?

My previous child has levels... I understood levels. Now we're faced with what look like names for levels?l
Emerging/ expected/secure/exceptional etc. < are these just the levels?

He that makes sense.

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 19:22:11

They won't achieve any level as they no longer exist

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 19:23:52

The new tests will give a score which will be translated into a scale score (both will be reported)

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 19:24:53

Thank you, They will get one of the labels though, is it not just the same?

What does 75% mean? What would the old test have given?

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 19:29:33

75% means absolutely nothing at this stage as the government haven't decided what score is expected.

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 19:31:36

Sorry on the old system I am interested what it would be.

yeOldeTrout Sat 24-Oct-15 19:32:38

Doesn't 75% mean better than 75% of his peers?

(guessing) The old test would have been something like 5b to say the same thing.

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 19:38:15

It's year two so, maybe a 3? Something...

MirandaWest Sat 24-Oct-15 19:38:29

If it's a key stage 1 test then it's unlikely to be equivalent to level 5b.

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 19:39:15

Or a two...my mEmory is rubbish!

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 19:43:31

There isn't a 3 to be equivalent to! You really need to let them go...
The raw score will be converted into a scale score (this will vary year to year and test to test) and at this stage all we know is that a scale score of 100 is expected for the end of the Key Stage. What we don't know is how many questions a child needs to answer correctly to achieve that scale score.

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 19:48:57

I didn't think that the curves moved that much, I thought they were pretty static.

I'm attempting to work out what it means. I understood what the old levels were so thought that it might be useful. Out of interest what would 75 have given last year?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 24-Oct-15 19:53:32

Either a 2 or a 3. It depends which paper.

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 19:55:50

Nothing to do with curves it's the government setting the standards.

Finola1step Sat 24-Oct-15 19:55:52

There isn't a straight correlation which is why so many schools and their teachers are finding this so hard. Plus, the standard and expectations have gone up.

That said, by the end of Year 2, as a very rough guide, this may work:

An old 2B (which was the National expectation) would now fall more into the emerging category.

An old 2A (which was above National expectation) would now fit more into Expected.

An old Level 3, would now fit into the secure category with perhaps elements of exceptional/mastery.

This is only a very rough guide though and should be treated with caution. But it us certainly what I have heard discussed amongst headteachers and deputys.

I would also remind anyone that we are at the very beginning of this new assessment for this year's year 2s. And I would sincerely hope that no school in the land is actually given their 6 year olds practise papers and then sharing the scores with parents.

HTH.

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 19:57:40

Rafa it's all changed there aren't separate papers just seven new tests

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 20:02:18

Thank you finola, what I can't get it what 75% would correlate to.

Tested at home, not school. :-)

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 20:08:42

The reading test will have two parts (all children will do both) there are 20 marks for each paper and the scores will be combined.
Grammar Spelling and Punctuation will have three tests with the scores combined and this will feed into the overall writing assessment.
Maths there will be an arithmetic paper and a mathematical fluency paper again scores combined.

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 20:09:28

Finolas posts contradicts the clear message from the DfE

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 24-Oct-15 20:10:26

Yes I know, but the OP wants to know based on the old tests. Obviously it won't give her any useful information about whether he's below/at or above expectations because of:

a) the changes to the curriculum and testing
b) the fact that even under the old system a level on the test doesn't mean that's the level a child is actually working at.

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 20:10:51

Sorry I have seen that info and sample papers, I'm just interested in what 75% would have achieved last year.

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 20:13:14

m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dgWlInpok

mrz Sat 24-Oct-15 20:18:31

Last year there were separate level 2 papers and level 3 papers and the level awarded was based on the teacher assessment of work over the year. Sorry but your 75% is meaningless.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sat 24-Oct-15 20:21:53

Surely if you have old style practice papers there is a mark scheme with levels?

Flutterbutterfly Sat 24-Oct-15 20:31:06

Its a new paper.

Sorry but God it's like banging your head against a wall. Ask a straight question.

You really mark a paper and it's meaningless?? You marked all those papers last year and they were worth nothing!? ( why bother sitting them)

Well done you got 75% child but it means nothing!

And the government gave you power to choose your own methos for assesments....amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now