Talk

Advanced search

Bruern Abbey

(6 Posts)
Iken Fri 23-Oct-15 21:37:38

Any experiences of this school please?

Needanadulttotalkto Sat 24-Oct-15 00:00:43

A family member was interested in the school for their DC. I helped investigate it for her and it looked absolutely amazing in terms of the SEN support, but I think culturally it could be a tough fit for some DC as it's very hunting, shooting and fishing.... But then realistically most people with that sort of money who are aiming for public school for their SEN DC may fit in to that bracket.

Also, a lot of DC would have to weekly board to go there, which could be tough at a young age, however they do at least have 3 opportunities a week for parents to visit DC.

As they say on their website, they at the only SEN Prep in the country, and their exits are phenomenal for a SEN school!

Do you have any more specific questions?

Iken Sat 24-Oct-15 11:36:23

Many thanks. We are fairly ordinary :-) but I am just trying to find a haven for my child. Mild SEN but worn down by negativity in mainstream. What was the general feel of the place & other parents? Welcoming or stuffy?

WishIWasWonderwoman Sun 25-Oct-15 06:08:57

I only have secondhand information so I can't really help you but this thread from 2011/2012 might be of interest to you.

All feedback I have seen about this school has been very positive.

Needanadulttotalkto Thu 29-Oct-15 04:20:18

Iken

I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask on that one as I've not personally toured, however the family member said culturally stuffy (see above) but immensely happy boys who have come from a wide variety of other schools. I remember hearing that the boys are really open about the particular SEN they have as it is so accepted and there is absolutely no stigmatisation because of it.

It might be on the thread above, but I read somewhere that "no-one arrives at school by helicopter......anymore!" Clearly some massive cultural hurdles for those on a normal income!!

I think I have a vague memory that part of the ISI / OFSTED was not amazing?? Was it the boarding? I may be wrong on that though.

I agree that the amount of money there and the country sports culture are really intimidating for people not into it, but I think that sort of thing is irrelevant to the DS, and they'd thrive there.

Why not book a viewing (and come back and tell us more!)?

Good luck!

Iken Thu 29-Oct-15 09:42:21

I think I will. I am keen on finding somewhere where my DS can thrive rather than just survive.

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now