Talk

Advanced search

Yr Spellings

(15 Posts)
louisejxxx Fri 23-Oct-15 07:22:16

Could I get a show of hands as to whether your year 1 child brings home spellings each week?

My ds started off the year bringing them home, but after a teacher shuffle (long story but class teacher is long-term off sick, sick note was till end if Sept but got extended to end of Dec, so went from having 2 supply teachers to 1 for more consistency) now he isn't. I didn't know whether the teacher was just taking a bit of time to assess their needs more thoroughly, but nothing has come home in a few weeks now.

Don't know whether it's relevant but this year this school has had to quickly invest heavily in RWI because of poor phonics screening results (previously using JP and mixed methods) so a lot of time is being spent trying to go over things with the children. For example, they've been going over all the "speed sounds" to make sure they've been taught correctly.....perhaps they are waiting until further down the recapping process go add spellings into the mix?

Sorry to babble...to begin with year 1 seemed like quite a step up, but now with not as much homework (just reading books) things don't really seem much different to YR.

Fraggled Fri 23-Oct-15 07:29:47

Just reading books here. Our school takes the view that they're still very little and that homework isn't necessary at this stage, but sends home ideas for play-based learning every term to tie in with their class themes.

Fraggled Fri 23-Oct-15 07:32:04

I should add, I was confused as we also had spellings and word books sent home in reception. The teacher explained to me at parents evening that, because y1 is much less play-based than reception they fit more in during the day.

louisejxxx Fri 23-Oct-15 07:36:30

Oops just realised I seemed to have missed the "1" of Yr1 in my thread title blush

JasperDamerel Fri 23-Oct-15 07:39:11

Mine do, but there's no evidence that it benefits children so I'd be happy if they stopped. We have selling a, times tables and a reading book, and they get written homework from Y3.

SoupDragon Fri 23-Oct-15 07:41:49

Mine did. They were usually spellings taken from their written work though so relevant to each child. In KS2 they moved on to more traditional spelling lists.

MrsJamin Fri 23-Oct-15 07:45:47

My y1 ds has 6 easy spellings per week, we spend 5 mins if that on them. It's no biggy. No other homework apart from reading obviously. No idea why they would be doing times tables,Jasper Damerel, unless it's just 2,5&10?

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Fri 23-Oct-15 07:47:38

Yes, but they only have reading books and spellings, no other homework.

mrz Fri 23-Oct-15 07:58:39

Year1 teacher and I don't send home spellings to learn.

louisejxxx Fri 23-Oct-15 08:41:06

Thanks guys, this has put my mind at rest a bit!

LittleMissGreen Fri 23-Oct-15 09:43:16

We have a list of words that they are working on in school so we know which phonemes they are learning but not in terms of a 'you must teach your child to spell these words for a test' sense.

onemouseplace Fri 23-Oct-15 11:22:06

We had a 'meet the teacher' event at the beginning of the year and she said they would be having weekly spellings to learn, but none have been sent home yet.

Bumpsadaisie Fri 23-Oct-15 11:29:47

No, we never had weekly spellings in Y1 - although they had a book where they wrote down "tricky words" and then once every half term they had a check whether they had learnt them or not .

SevenSeconds Fri 23-Oct-15 11:33:09

My year 1 DS does not bring spellings home at the moment, but judging from my two older DC he will start to at some point during the year, maybe around Jan / Feb.

sauvignonblacks Fri 23-Oct-15 11:43:33

We have weekly spelling now DD is in yr1 usually from the RWI book that week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now