Talk

Advanced search

How teacher choose math questions

(10 Posts)
Autumnsky Mon 19-Oct-15 11:42:05

I understand there are a curriculum for teacher to follow, then does teacher just choose questions from anywhere based on their experience? Are there recommonded resouce for teacher to choose from?

The reason I ask, is I am a bit surprised by what DS2(Y3) is doing at school. The main focus is on times table, addition and subtraction. But there are sometime difficult questions , Like 4 balls in different colour, the possible ways of combination. It is not hard once the children understand the logic behind the combination, but I am a bit surprised that this was taught so earlier.

caravanista13 Mon 19-Oct-15 11:48:07

Most schools will also be using a commercially produced scheme of work which follows the national curriculum but sets work in much more detail. This will cover the usual addition, subtraction etc but will also include problem solving tasks which involve the children in applying the skills they're learning. I'm sure the school staff would be happy to talk you through it.

Autumnsky Mon 19-Oct-15 13:22:19

Thanks! It looks like the problem solving tasks then. I did looked at the curriculum, didn't see anything like these.

BetweenTwoLungs Mon 19-Oct-15 18:09:22

There a big focus on mastery and problem solving skills in the new curriculum, teaching resilience, perserversnce and ability to apply what they know to a problem. This will be what it is.

WombatStewForTea Mon 19-Oct-15 19:53:21

Correspondence problems like that are in the Y3 curriculum. That's why the teacher is teaching it.

mrz Mon 19-Oct-15 20:08:52

nrich.maths.org/content/id/9445/KS2CurriculumLinkedtoNRICHSep15.pdf

Autumnsky Tue 20-Oct-15 12:11:59

Thanks!

findingschools Wed 21-Oct-15 22:49:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

reni2 Wed 21-Oct-15 23:57:14

Stop spamming all education threads, findingschools, pay for your ads like a reputable company would.

Feenie Thu 22-Oct-15 07:01:05

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2492457-Prolific-spammer-on-Primary-Ed-board?msgid=57185551#57185551

Have complained to the website. What a terrible marketing strategy - how to alienate 3 million parents in one go! You're a total idiot, findingschools - hope they sack you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now