Talk

Advanced search

Loved nursery hates reception

(2 Posts)
Rocky79 Wed 30-Sep-15 11:17:47

My almost 5yr old DD has been at the school's nursery since age 3 and loved it - from early on she was confident and happy to go. She had a friend she's known since being tiny and now he's changed schools. Although she played with other kids, having her chum there obviously gave her confidence.

Now in reception she's crying and clinging on to me every morning. As well as having trouble sleeping and with temper / moods.

She says she doesn't like it because it's different and she wants to go back in to nursery (it's only through a door off her new classroom )

I think I understand why its happening but I don't know what I can do to help. The teachers say she's fine all day. She's bright and doing well. Other kids ask her to sit with them but she ignores them and clings to me.

I don't know if I should be tougher or if that will only make her feel more anxious.

I feel helpless and hate seeing her so upset. I'd love any tips please.

KohINoorPencil Wed 30-Sep-15 18:34:44

So many parents say this, it's very normal.

School is a big adjustment even for kids who have been to nursery.

The mornings can also be very stressful for little ones if it is loud and noisy.
The best way to deal with it is not to hang about, either before or after the bell. Get there right on time, deliver to the line/ peg and be bright and breezy and go.

I know it sounds callous but they really do perk up immediately. And we don't mind phone calls to check!

Other options- agree with the teacher/ TA that they will be there to hold her hand every morning until she settles more. You might need to take her into the classroom pre-crowd (this should be used sparingly!).

And the obvious things like snacks for pick up time, lots of rest.

Reception is a shock to the system, but after a few weeks it becomes like second nature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now