Talk

Advanced search

Watching films as rewards in school.

(35 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Sat 12-Sep-15 21:38:33

DD has just gone into year 2. They watched a film yesterday afternoon as the class reward for x number of points in the first week. This happened at least every three weeks in reception and year 1.

Would this bother you and what would you do? It may be that I'm only concerned because my DD is terrified of films, doesn't like being in the room when they're on and ends up 'colouring' for the entire afternoon as her alternative 'treat'.

They're really innocuous films, suitable for the age group - I've no worries on that score - she's just really over-sensitive! But I do feel sorry for her that she contributes towards getting a reward that she never benefits from.

(Not to mention the wasted time when she could really do with some extra reading).

I won't be able to see the teacher until parents' evening, whenever that is. Is this worth raising? I did raise it with the last teacher but she made light of it, saying they didn't do it very often and she always gave DD an alternative.

WombatStewForTea Sat 12-Sep-15 23:36:11

We always have a term lay award for the class with the best attendance which is a film afternoon. I'd been concerned if it was happening on a regular basis though!

MidniteScribbler Sat 12-Sep-15 23:53:20

We do it about once a term, and it is generally tied to a theme that we've been working on (we'll watch Beauty and the Beast next week as it is last week of term here and it ties to the theme we've been working on all term).

fkatwigs Sun 13-Sep-15 00:07:11

It's part of the class reward thing all of the teachers are using, isn't it?

I can't say I'd be too bothered about it. Not on a Friday afternoon anyway.

simpson Sun 13-Sep-15 00:09:40

Nope it is usually part of a Friday afternoon golden time type thing.

Littlefish Sun 13-Sep-15 08:27:18

Unless it's part of a topic, or possibly the very end of the summer term then I think it's really lazy teaching. Once every 3 weeks is far too often. I'm a teacher.

timeforabrewnow Sun 13-Sep-15 08:29:59

Every three weeks? I'd be worried about her education. And yes it would bother me.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Sun 13-Sep-15 08:35:37

Erm, not all teachers are using it!

I'm all for rewarding a class for good behaviour and every three weeks sounds about right for frequency.

However, watching a film isn't how I would reward a class and I would be pissed off if my DS was watching a film at school that often, unless it was linked to their topic and they did follow up work.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 08:37:43

I'm a teacher too - it's sometimes harder to see if I'm overreacting or imposing my own standards.

I like the school for other things, but beginning to worry now about expectations. They always say how great she's doing, but that's not what I see when I get books home/ scrawled colouring or worksheets in her book bag/ lack of attention in reading/ and more...

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 08:39:35

It's never linked to a topic, just a kids' film.

I can picture DD sitting, trying to colour but blocking the sound out with one shoulder and her other hand. She really can't cope with films.

mrz Sun 13-Sep-15 08:57:02

Is it "Golden Time"?

DelphiniumBlue Sun 13-Sep-15 09:05:13

Speak to the teacher and explain, also speak to the senco/ inclusion manager. Whilst it's quite usual for a school to have golden time on Friday afternoon, it often only lasts for half can hour or less.
As she she has issues with films, perhaps she could be sent into a different class or given a 'job' during the occasional film time.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 09:28:31

It's not 'Golden Time' but a class treat for getting points. Cleverly engineered to always happen by Friday afternoon. Sometimes it's something DD prefers like a picnic or nature walk, but often films and always the whole afternoon.

I'm not in mainstream but when I was, we'd have been strung up for putting a film on if not directly and essentially linked to the curriculum, with stated learning intentions etc.

Perhaps the SENCO is the best person to talk to, from the inclusion slant rather than quality of teaching and learning perspective.

Sirzy Sun 13-Sep-15 09:30:55

I don't have any problem with a Friday afternoon treat whether it is labelled golden time or something else.

Friday afternoon is rarely the most productive time of the week!

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 09:38:01

I probably wouldn't be bothered if it was a treat! But it's a punishment for DD.

spanieleyes Sun 13-Sep-15 09:51:15

Class treat for getting points IS Golden Time ( just a different type!) but the whole afternoon seems excessive ( as does film as the treat all the time)

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 09:54:55

Well, there is a specific concept called 'Golden Time' linked to circle time and 'golden rules' and that's not what I'm referring to here. In some schools, 'golden time' happens each week at a set time. It is linked to behaviour systems and children can have time docked from it. In DD's school, 'super special time' happens when the class has achieved a certain number of points. Children are not excluded from it for behaviour.

mrz Sun 13-Sep-15 10:02:10

So they get Golden Time and this "treat" afternoon? shock

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 10:03:57

No, fortunately, Mrz! I was just explaining (badly) the difference to sirzy.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 10:04:29

Spaniel eyes, sorry, not sirzy!

mrz Sun 13-Sep-15 10:08:42

In that case Golden Time means different things to different schools not all link to Circle Time

Sirzy Sun 13-Sep-15 10:19:18

I have never worked in a school which links it to circle time.

Some classes do have it so children gain/lose time depending on behaviour. Others the whole glass gains time. Just different approaches to the same thing though.

shoesSHOES Sun 13-Sep-15 10:21:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spanieleyes Sun 13-Sep-15 10:23:55

Different schools use "Golden Time" in different ways, most have strayed far from the Jenny Moseley principles but still refer to it as Golden Time. Some schools use it as a behavioural incentive for individuals, some as a " treat" for whole class effort and some don't use it at all!

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 13-Sep-15 10:26:58

Yes shoes, not a great message, is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now