Talk

Advanced search

Oxford Reading Tree and New Way - how do they compare?

(4 Posts)
BaronessTrumpington Fri 11-Sep-15 16:21:39

My dd has just started Y2. She failed her phonics test at the end of Y1, and so will receive additional support for reading and writing this year.

She was reading level 8 books from the Oxford Reading Tree series the end of Y1. Today, she has bought home a book from a new series called New Way. She's on green level.

Could someone please tell me how these two compare? Are there any particular differences? One thing I've noticed is that the new book is a book of 3 short stories, rather than one long 30-odd page story (this is immediately better for dds attention span with reading).

TIA.

mrz Fri 11-Sep-15 17:23:19

New Way will support phonics more but are ancient which suggests the school have nothing more appropriate to offer

louisejxxx Fri 11-Sep-15 18:02:57

I can't help in terms of whether what you've received is of a similar level of ORT to what you've already had. My ds's school tends to start sending home New Way when they have ran out of ORT of the same book band to give out, but feel the child isn't ready to move up to the next stage yet.

They do seem to be miles better than ORT phonics-wise, and so do seem to be a bit "easier" because the text isn't littered with words that can't be sounded out.

BaronessTrumpington Fri 11-Sep-15 20:56:30

Thank-you both for your answers :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now