Talk

Advanced search

School shirts or revere neck blouses?

(16 Posts)
erinlucas Sun 23-Aug-15 17:36:09

Just wondering which other people think is better suited for DD starting reception next month, regular school shirt or one with a revere collar? Either is accepted by school. Plus ties are optional but I'm not sure which is better as will be worn under a sweatshirt for school.

addictedtosugar Sun 23-Aug-15 18:40:55

Don't think you'd get a tie on a shirt without a topnbutton very easily.
Why not get a mixture this year, and when you need to replace, go with her preference?

erinlucas Sun 23-Aug-15 19:08:28

I was thinking either shirt (with or without tie) against a revere blouse without tie, but this might not be easy to wear beneath a sweatshirt.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 23-Aug-15 19:31:34

The sweatshirt is the deciding factor. Revere collar would just look lumpy underneath. So it's full collars for the poor tot IMO until the spring when she won't need the sweatshirt any more.
Revere looks nice with a cardigan, though...

erinlucas Sun 23-Aug-15 19:56:58

Can revere collars be worn over sweatshirts?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Aug-15 21:44:01

Revere only really work with V neck jumpers. Personally I like Peter Pan collars in primary and revere in senior school.

erinlucas Sun 23-Aug-15 23:20:08

Just as a revere collar wouldn't really be seen, nor would a tie either. Open neck shirt is probably a winner with a sweatshirt, but if she wears a tie as well, is the shirt collar better in or out of shirt?

Inkymess Sun 23-Aug-15 23:28:35

Never heard of a revere collar lol

Inkymess Sun 23-Aug-15 23:30:55

Bot looked and yes that only works with cardi or v neck???

CarlaJones Mon 24-Aug-15 12:12:00

That's strange that they are mixing a revere or collar and tie with a sweatshirt. They don't really go together. Is there a cardigan option?

Dixiechickonhols Mon 24-Aug-15 13:45:40

Mine prefers the open neck revere blouse that is her school's summer uniform. She wears it with a cardigan.

Winter she has to have a shirt that buttons to top - Katie collar/ and a neck bow. Fiddly and less comfy.

Trutex make both styles.

erinlucas Tue 25-Aug-15 13:31:29

There is no cardi option, I spoke to my neighbor who is the only person I know with kids at the school and her 2 DC wear shirts, along with ties most of the time.

Is it too much to expect a 4 year old to wear a tie?

addictedtosugar Tue 25-Aug-15 16:15:37

Reception here have ties with shirt.
Preschool is poloshirt with optional tie. DS2 wore one most days last year, to be like his brother. They were elasticated. So I don't think it's a unreasonable, but most people were astounded to see the school photo with ties.

erinlucas Tue 25-Aug-15 17:51:47

The thing about sweatshirts is that ties won't even be seen

Minicaters Fri 28-Aug-15 20:39:24

I think DD's shirts were 2 for £4.50 in tesco. If you can get them at that sort of price, get a couple of each to start with and then get more of whatever works better for you. We have polo shirts and IMO they don't really work with sweatshirts either, but that doesn't matter to a primary school child.

My brother managed an elastic tie at 4, so I'm sure children can, but it's easier not to have to.

erinlucas Tue 01-Sep-15 17:00:19

Decided on proper shirts in the end as they can be worn with or without a tie.

DD can wear tie loose under sweatshirt so more comfy with top button undone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now