Talk

Advanced search

Moving house after place allocated but before term starts

(11 Posts)
ceeveebee Sat 15-Aug-15 11:23:06

We are relocating from London to Manchester area in October. We plan to rent initially while our London house sells, then buy a property later. I just want to make sure I understand the timings so we don't mess up on school admissions

There is a lovely school I want my children to go to (twins, start reception sep 16) which is oversubscribed, and we have seen a rental house 150 yards from school gate. Trying to decide on whether a 6 or 12 month lease would be best (Its a bit grubby/tired so we don't want to live there very long).
If we move out of there after we have received places (so End of April) but before term starts, would we risk losing our places? We wouldn't plan to move far, would still be in catchment area but probably not quite as close as this house is!
Thanks in advance

lunar1 Sat 15-Aug-15 11:34:05

Would the 6 month convert to a rolling contract? You could then give notice after school starts without committing to 12 months.

Inkymess Sat 15-Aug-15 13:03:18

Agree a rolling contract. Otherwise the agent may let if to someone else who is desperate for that address and will pay higher rent. Some areas are very competitive - depends what area it is

Inkymess Sat 15-Aug-15 13:06:21

You wouldn't loose your place btw. You just have to be that address when the offers come out etc. Others may question it if you move too far as there are no catchments in Manchester LA itself. Check the actual school admissions too if it's a faith school

YonicScrewdriver Sat 15-Aug-15 13:07:49

Regardless of the school thing, you probably want security of tenancy beyond 6m anyway in case a chain collapses etc. Agree with others re rolling lease.

YonicScrewdriver Sat 15-Aug-15 13:09:40

And yes, if it's your sole local dwelling at the time of the application deadline then offer shouldn't be withdrawn.

ceeveebee Sat 15-Aug-15 13:34:11

That's great all, thanks (it's Trafford LA rather than Manchester btw). Will try to get a 6 month that then goes to rolling

prh47bridge Sat 15-Aug-15 13:37:02

In theory you should be ok. The LA cannot withdraw the offer just because you move. The risk is that the LA may take the view that you rented close to the school just to get a place and treat your application as fraudulent or intentionally misleading. That is less likely if you take the house on a 12 month lease but still can't be ruled out, especially if the LA have come across people using this house as a short term rent to get a place previously.

If the LA do withdraw the offer (or refuse to accept the rented property as your home address in the first place) you have the right to appeal. But it would obviously be better if you don't have to go there.

I would recommend talking to the LA in Manchester about your plans and seeing what they have to say. Make sure you get any responses in writing so that you have evidence you can use if they then do something different. After any telephone conversation send them an email setting out your understanding of what was said. Those emails can also be used as evidence if necessary.

ceeveebee Sat 15-Aug-15 14:05:41

Thanks - all a moot point now as someone got in before us so back to the drawing board!

Inkymess Sat 15-Aug-15 14:15:04

That's what happens I'm afraid. Rentals near great schools go fast

MrsUltracrepidarian Sat 15-Aug-15 14:27:34

Also, if it is house that has been serially rented year on year the LA will know that and will be suspicious about motive, so definitely go for the year - 6 months will look like a pisstake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now