Talk

Advanced search

7+ for GHS ...preperation tips please.

(7 Posts)
Doc25 Mon 10-Aug-15 08:06:13

hello all..my daughter would be sitting for 7+ for Guildford high school in Dec this year...Can you please advise on books (math/engkish/verbal/nonverbal) and preperation tips...she is ranked as a good student in her current class...many thanks.

CB2009 Mon 10-Aug-15 12:17:35

Not familiar with this specific school but son will try 7+ entrance exams in Dec/Jan for NW London private schools. He just left Y1 at state prep. We are working with Bond assessment books for Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning. We did some 6-7 and now working through all of them for age 7-8. Using Scholfield and Simms for Non Verbal as recommended to us as slightly tougher than Bond. We are writing a story each week over the summer and a diary recount. Spellings - high frequency words, wow adjectives, months of year etc etc. Times tables (not 7, 8 &9). We are reading lots to him and him to us. All the usual good authors/books for children - R Dahl, Flat Stanley, Dick King-Smith etc etc No idea if this is adequate but we do some each day over the summer and then the rest of the day is fun/outdoor stuff. It feels like plenty. Good luck. Hope this is of some use!

Doc25 Thu 13-Aug-15 09:20:08

many thanks CB2009...for time tables how many time tables should be adequate? is there a fixed number like timetables till 6? i a doing scholastic books at the moment with my dd...hope to start bond assessment once we finish this...many thanks..

CB2009 Thu 13-Aug-15 11:50:53

I have heard mixed reports on tables. Some people/schools seem to need all of them. We have been told to focus on up to 6 plus 10, 11. Less focus on 7-8-9 and 12. Good for them to know the easier tables in word problems too rather than a straight sum. So for example how many pairs of socks. Or sharing a bag of sweets between 3 children. I will take look at the scholastic books too! Thank you & good luck

Fishinthepond2 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:05:21

Good evening CB2009
I was looking on Mumsnet for advice and a tutor regarding 7+for my daughter.
She goes to an independent school in N London but the school offers no support whatsoever for 7+. Can I kindly ask you the details of Arlette as I saw an older 7+ discussion and you mentioned her as a tutor.
I hope you don't mind
Kind regards
Patricia

ghsmum Sat 11-Mar-17 21:51:02

Please check the website for some details:
www.guildfordhigh.surrey.sch.uk/joiningghs
There are no VR or NVR test papers.
Rather than being far ahead, focus on accuracy in maths and comprehension and for writing focus on punctuation, wow words, spelling key words accurately and different sentence openers.

Traintracks Sun 12-Mar-17 22:49:36

Be aware that arlette selects - she assesses in the June of reception and if your child can't do number bonds to 10, maths within 20, reading to ORT 7 and some comprehension she won't take them on. So at lest some of her success is in the cohort she takes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now