Talk

Advanced search

How to label stuff that will go in the dishwasher?

(28 Posts)
Hardtoknow Sat 08-Aug-15 21:31:41

DD went through reception without losing any clothing (all labelled) but did lose one water bottle and a Tupperware box and a (different) lid. This is partly my fault as the labels had come off over time, mainly due to going through the dishwasher regularly. Any tips on ones which might last the year?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 08-Aug-15 21:34:39

I just keep rewriting it when necessary with a Sharpie (or similar).

gamerchick Sat 08-Aug-15 21:37:46

Wash by hand?

StressheadMcGee Sat 08-Aug-15 21:38:51

Nail varnish? It works for me our camping crockery, but that doesn't get washed very easily.

catzpyjamas Sat 08-Aug-15 21:44:26

I got some printed. I ordered them from eBay. Like these:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271901931630?redirect=mobile

oohnewshoes Sat 08-Aug-15 21:47:53

I bought "my nametags " on amazon a few years ago. They were advertised as iron on name tags for uniforms but they also came with stick on name tags for lunch boxes.
My kids bits have been through our dishwasher for years and they never come off.
I really recommend them but can link sorry. They are about £11.

Minicaters Sun 09-Aug-15 01:27:13

I've only ever got the cheapest coloured vinyl labels on ebay and they've just stayed stuck. I put 2 labels on water bottles just in case one comes off.

I once branched out into Stikins, which were much more expensive, but the writing rubbed off so I'm going back to my ebay cheapies.

NittersAndSewers Sun 09-Aug-15 02:24:59

There are dishwasher proof labels for sale somewhere (possibly mynametgs mentioned above) which I have found to be very good for drinking bottles, plastic tubs etc.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 09-Aug-15 08:04:32

Easy2Name I have been using their sticky labels for 11 years. The ones on DD's bottles went through the dishwasher and steriliser everyday for a year without a problem. I stuck one on her scissors in year 3 still there going into year 7. All my Tupperware boxes have their labels.

pixieg1rl Sun 09-Aug-15 08:06:48

I've ordered a bunch of labels from Easy2Name on the recommendation of my neighbour. She says they stay on through everything.

Catnuzzle Sun 09-Aug-15 08:12:55

Stikins from ebay or Amazon.

NoParking Sun 09-Aug-15 08:16:40

Easy2name has worked for me, too. Have had to put dd2's labels on top of dd1's, as they just won't come off.

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 09-Aug-15 08:16:52

Stamptastic is brilliant. You get a name stamp and ink pad and the ink can be used on pretty much anything. Uniform, shoes, water bottles and lunch boxes, the handle of their toothbrush when they go on cub camp........brilliant things!

On the plastic stuff it does last longer on some than others but it doesn't exactly take much to re stamp if it has worn off. I might need to do their water bottles once a term ish though I have a cup that got stamped a year ago that goes in the dishwasher daily and is still fine. Odd.

noramum Sun 09-Aug-15 08:16:56

I use Easy2 name on all of DD's Tupperware and bottles. Some of them I use for 4 years now and had to replace nothing.

addictedtosugar Sun 09-Aug-15 08:17:04

Easy2name
We got the multipack of iron on and stick on. Only think they haven't survived in DS2s sweaty feet, but they are just about readable even there.

MissClemencyTrevanion Sun 09-Aug-15 08:18:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiggytape Sun 09-Aug-15 10:47:39

Another vote for Easy2Name stickers - they have lasted through years of dishwashing in our house too.

Saracen Sun 09-Aug-15 12:44:11

I keep going over it in Sharpie. Lasts about 4 washes between rewriting.

FrancesOldhamKelseyRIP Sun 09-Aug-15 12:54:24

Easy2Name are good and deliver very quickly. You can get a 10% discount with a MN code.

Inkymess Sun 09-Aug-15 18:00:58

Mynametag defo last 3 years of regular dishwasher. I like the fact you can get name and picture to make it easy

Lurkedforever1 Sun 09-Aug-15 19:40:05

Engrave it with the end of a compass

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 09-Aug-15 19:46:02

Stickins (I got them on Amazon) last very well in the dishwasher, top rack, stick in and on anything from gloves to shoes to water bottles. Well worth the money imo.

Icapturethecastle Sun 09-Aug-15 19:51:41

Another vote for stikins for everything your child takes to school including uniform also if you have 2 children I usually order " firstname1 surname firstname2 " then cut off the name I don't need!

Minicaters Sun 09-Aug-15 21:40:36

Oh no, sorry ICapture but I was Surname Firstname2 and I hated it. I was picked because I was "the sensible one" who could be trusted not to make a fuss. First world problem, absolutely, but they're about £1.99 for 60 on ebay. Why play favourites and make one child have "weird" labels? Get them their own, preferably in different colours to help the sorting at home too.

If you want to scrimp, you can sometimes get "James Smith Ella Smith" onto one label, or just get "Smith Smith" and cut in half.

Stevie77 Tue 11-Aug-15 20:36:48

I got Easy2Name and they don't come off when you wash them but they do peel off. Completely defeats the object.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now