Talk

Advanced search

Composite class question? P1/P2

(10 Posts)
Pumpkinette Fri 31-Jul-15 21:36:46

How do teachers decide who goes into a composite class?

DD is going into P2 and will be in a P1/P2 composite class with 5 other P2 children. At DD's last parents evening we were told she is far ahead in maths (working above top group) and in the top group for reading so I don't think she has been put in the class for lack of ability. If anything she finds school work easy and can do her homework in less than 3 minutes most nights. At home she is doing things in relation to maths that by the looks of it are not introduced until primary 3 (from the sketchy info available on the CFE). Eg: Dividing by 2, times tables, basic balancing equations and sums with multiple numbers (chains of 6+ adding and subtracting mixed in). I don't push this she asks for sums all the time - for fun!

She does lack self confidence and is very shy (and can be a bit of a cry baby at times) so I am thinking this might be the reason she was chosen? Based on emotional maturity?

I didn't get a chance to go school for the meeting (3 days notice isn't enough to get time off work) and only found out the last week of school so no time to arrange a meeting with the teacher.

I know it's not about age either as she is not the youngest or oldest (November birthday - we are in Scotland so youngest children born February)

Anyone got any experience with this or any teachers out there who can help explain how pupils for composite classes are chosen?

She is quite happy to have the same teacher again (really nice teacher) but at the same time she said her friends who are moving to the P2 class have been making fun of her and calling her a baby who has to stay in P1. I've explained she will still be in P2 but she doesn't believe me and is quite down about it all.

YeOldeTrout Fri 31-Jul-15 21:54:04

sounds like 'friends' she'd be better off without.
It's definitely done on social circles & separating kids who aren't good for each other at our school.

sweetkitty Fri 31-Jul-15 22:04:38

In our school they tend to chose a one gender group of similar ability.

I would argue most classes are composite classes, you'll have the high flyers, the Middle groups and then the groups that need more support.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 31-Jul-15 22:20:32

I'm in Edinburgh, in a school with all composites (only 5 physical classrooms) and their policy is age. Within that ther is a little wiggle room for gender (ie they won't have only 1 boy or girl in one of the 'slices' so will move things around a bit to avoid it happening) but it's primarily age-based.

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 31-Jul-15 22:46:57

As a November birthday she probably is among the youngest group in P2 so gets the P1/2 composite. My Dd was a January birthday and always ended up in the composite class when the older bunch (typically March-September) made up an entire class. It was fine, and my Dd was one of the bright kids (she's got her fingers crossed for 5 As at Higher and taking 4 Advanced Highers). You'll find that they will get put into ability groups for maths and English which will involve some swapping between the classes.

Pumpkinette Fri 31-Jul-15 22:50:58

I am quite pleased that she will be separated from these 'friends' as I feel they were not good for her. Her best friend was very dominant and my DD was frequently upset at being bossed around at playtime. I think being one of the older children in the class will be good for her self esteem. I have been talking about it with her and telling her how great it will be for her to be one of the big kids who can help the little ones to settle in (trying to get her to see it as a good thing)

There will be 3 boys and 3 girls from P2. It's definitely not based in age. We went to 5 birthday parties for children in her class who turned 5 after she did and only 1 of them are in the composite class.

I'm just a bit miffed by it all. When I was at school it was done by ability. If she was behind in her work or on the bottom groups I would understand but I know she has been consistently in the top groups.

I don't actually mind her being in the composite class, the class size is smaller so I see it as a positive. I just want to know why she was chosen and if there are any issues with her.

I will have a word with the teacher when school goes back in a couple of weeks.

CitySnicker Fri 31-Jul-15 22:56:35

Done on ability in my school.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 01-Aug-15 12:06:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eva50 Sat 01-Aug-15 19:49:18

Our school does it by age. Ds2 was in two composite classes in primary, a 3/4 and a 6/7 and each time he was the eldest in the class. It was the making of him. He is very shy but was given lots of responsibilities which improved his confidence.

Pumpkinette Sat 01-Aug-15 20:19:46

Thanks for the reassurances. I really do hope it improves her confidence to be one of the older ones in the class. Her report card from last year was shining for everything but did comment on her lack of confidence in class and speaking out when she knows the answers or joining in with group discussions. She has similar issues at her rainbows group and drama class (I enrolled her in both to help build her confidence). I think the fact she will have the same teacher as last year will help her too as she is very shy around adults she doesn't know well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now