Advanced search

Reception class waiting list

(51 Posts)
Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:11:41

In need of some advice my dd has not got a place for reception this September & is on all the local school waiting list he is 8 for 1st choice & 12 for 2nd choice & 15 for 3rd choice a lot of people have said there is a lot of movement over the summer holidays but can't see there being that much movement that he would get a place anytime soon my dd isn't 5 till may so just wondering if it would be better for him to stay at a nursery till a space comes up any advice on waiting list this late would be great thank you x

KJX74 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:30:36

Sorry, no advice, but we're in a similar position

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:47:07

I feel for you it is so worrying isn't it hope it works out for us both

PettsWoodParadise Tue 28-Jul-15 18:56:09

I don't have any advice but I thought you had to be offered a place? If they did offer a place even if not one of your six and it was rejected then that can mean some LAs wash their hands of their responsibility. I have known some in that position and hopefully this won't be the case for you, but movement on the list went in the wrong direction as new families moved to area and therefore qualified ahead of them. Our neighbours needed places as they over in area, including a reception place and had to wait two terms but for their top school in end probably helped by fact it had a six form intake and is one of the largest primary schools in the country. Hope it works out for you.

TeenAndTween Tue 28-Jul-15 18:57:01

Have you not been offered a place at all or did you reject a place?

If not offered a place at all then the LA need to find you a place, you need to appeal to loads of schools and make a fuss until you are offered somewhere.

If you rejected a place, they don't need to offer you another place, unless you come up to the top of waiting list.
If you stay in Nursery, what will you do when he turns 5 if no place has arisen by then?
If you don't stay in nursery, does that mean you will home school?

prh47bridge Tue 28-Jul-15 19:24:54

Did they make an offer which you rejected? If so TeenAndTween is correct - they don't have to come up with an alternative.

If they haven't offered a place at all this is unacceptable. Remind the LA that they are obliged to find a place for your son. I would also put in an appeal for all three schools for which you have applied. Don't worry about the fact you have missed the deadline. They still have to hear your appeal. This may prompt the LA to come up with a place somewhere. If they don't an appeal panel may well take the view that they have to admit given the LA's failure to meet its responsibilities.

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 19:29:35

Hi I was offered a school place in June which was too far & was also a faith school which we do not follow we also appealed for our 1st choice as the nursery my son goes to is attached to that school & his key worker had already said how he would find the change difficult & she was going to help settle him as it took my son months to settle in nursery we didn't win our appeal my son also has Speach delay & is having Theropy for this but as the class is already at 30 there was no room for him the education lady who was there said they didn't have to offer my son another place as he is not 5 till may I would have to keep him at a nursery as he would get out of the routine of going to school then homered if he doesn't get a place I don't feel he is ready for full time school yet but also know keeping him off would set him back he was doing really well at his nursery with the extra help of Speach & language from his key worker

Bert2e Tue 28-Jul-15 19:49:36

I'd say it is unlikely that he'll have a place in September so if nursery are OK to keep him (which they may not be as I'm not sure where the funding would come from as you turned down the school place you were offered) then keep him in nursery.

bingandflop Tue 28-Jul-15 20:00:28

Tricky one. I think if I were you I would keep him in nursery and keeps fingers and toes crossed you get a place from the waiting list quite soon. I would also get him on the waiting list for any schools that would be acceptable to you. Do you happen to know if you are on an area with a lot of movement? How many form entry are the 3 schools?

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:00:31

The nursery are going to contact the LA to see if he will be able to stay on as he would still be entitled to 15 hours of funding I know he would benefit from another year at nursery just hope he can get a place in reception rather than going straight into year one if a place doesn't come up thank you all for your advice x

Inkymess Tue 28-Jul-15 20:02:59

But he was offered a school and you turned it down so now you'll just have to wait. I guess he has no statement saying he needs your 1st choice school

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:06:37

Hi bingandflop the school says there is a lot of movement in this area over the summer & also in the year too. The schools he is on the list for are all 2 class entry & are 30 max children in each class there is also another 50 houses being built In my area so am also worried about that there isn't enough places for school as it is don't know what it would be like when those 50 houses are occupied

bingandflop Tue 28-Jul-15 20:09:57

Wishing you the best of luck

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:10:45

Hi inkymess no he hasn't got a statement he just has his Speach & language delay he does have a few behaviour problems which we are on the waiting list for a child psychiatrist to assess him he is only 4 so it could be just something he will grow out of

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:11:28

Thanks bingandflop x

Inkymess Tue 28-Jul-15 20:12:23

Can you get him a statement? You may as well leave him in nursery and hope for the best

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:16:47

Inkymess yes will definitely leave him in the nursery as for a statement I don't know much about it is that what he would get if his behaviour & Speach delay are maybe linked to something ?

SometimesItRains Tue 28-Jul-15 20:19:08

Do you know how many siblings are in the classes? (Or can you ask the school). DS has just finished reception and there was lots of movement over the summer for his year, with some just not turning up on the first day. There have also been spaces in both of the two classes since about May, yet the school is heavily oversubscribed each year. However, this year there are over 30 siblings in the 60 intake and so there has been a lot less movement and there are a lot more people on the waiting list still. I think the best thing is to keep in touch with the schools as they should have some idea of whether/when you are likely to get in. For example, the office manager at ours said that the fact that all the parents turned up to the introductory parents evening in June is an indication that there is unlikely to be much movement as usually there are a good few parents that don't show up to that and then go on to reject the place at a later date.

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:30:51

Hi sometimesitrains we was told was 20 siblings & 40 children from distance we would have got in as we don't live far from the school but we only found out in April we had completed the application online but had not pressed the submit botton

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:31:23

Hi sometimesitrains we was told was 20 siblings & 40 children from distance we would have got in as we don't live far from the school but we only found out in April we had completed the application online but had not pressed the submit botton

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:32:40

Hi sometimesitrains we was told was 20 siblings & 40 children from distance we would have got in as we don't live far from the school but we only found out in April we had completed the application online but had not pressed the submit button

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:32:42

Hi sometimesitrains we was told was 20 siblings & 40 children from distance we would have got in as we don't live far from the school but we only found out in April we had completed the application online but had not pressed the submit button

BabyDerek Tue 28-Jul-15 20:45:37

What a tricky situation - is it too late to go to the faith school? I guess if he finds it hard to settle it'd be a mistake to send him there only to take him out later... I think keeping him in nursery might be your best bet and nag the LEA to sort something out as soon as possible.

Coupey1 Tue 28-Jul-15 21:04:25

Hi babyderek yes I have declined the faith school and I wouldn't like to send him to a different school then send him to 1st choice when a space comes up it was so upsetting for him to settle he also shows anxious signs when there is change I think it will be best for him to stay at nursery & keep everything crossed he will get.a place soon

tiggytape Tue 28-Jul-15 23:02:35

Nursery is perhaps an option but you also need to be realistic. There's a chance a few children will either reject their places very late, fail to turn up in September or move away in the first term. But equally there's a chance none of the 60 children who start in September will decline their place or leave the school for several years.

Obviously some locations have more churn than others in population but you cannot absolutely rely on leaving him in nursery until a place comes up - because it might not especially if the people ahead of you are also desperately holding out for that school and won't reject it if offered it. Ideally, if nursery is your plan B, you also need a plan C in case you get to May next year and are still on the waiting list for each school.

It isn't easy and, whilst remaining hopeful of movement, you do have to think about what you will do in a few months time if there's no shift at all in the waiting lists and he cannot be offered a place. At some point, you may need to consider starting him at a school that isn't one of your choices and then the decision boils down to whether it is best to do this in Sept when they all start together or whether it is worth the risk to hold out for a place you want and have him join a different school late if that doesn't work out. Sorry to sound pessimistic but whilst 8th - 15th on the list isn't completely unrealistic, it is also very far from a sure thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now