Talk

Advanced search

Advice on areas IPSWICH

(26 Posts)
sheenays Mon 27-Jul-15 18:16:58

hello mums,
We are in search of a home in Ipswich and have no idea on what areas are good and which ones to avoid. if anyone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it. our search priorities are good primary schools and motorway A12 etc.
thanks xxx

inthename Mon 27-Jul-15 20:54:47

kesgrave is a nice area with good schools, st margarets primary up the far end of Ipswich used to be fantastic (though I lived there over 10 yrs ago!) still have friends in the area. Chantry used to be the area to avoid, along with the Portman rd area.

petalpower Mon 27-Jul-15 21:04:22

St Margarets is a good primary and feeds into Northgate for secondary. Do you definitely want to be in Ipswich? Woodbridge has good state primaries and a good high school too. Norwich Road area not too good for living. St Mary's is a good Catholic primary and St John's also a good primary between Woodbridge Road and Colchester Road.

outtolunchagain Mon 27-Jul-15 21:31:48

Kesgrave has very good state primaries also Kyson and St Mary's in Woodbridge.

sheenays999 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:09:09

Hello thank u all for helping unfortunately kesgrave is out of our budget sad and my husband works around chelmsford so a loong drive for him. So ideally ipswich. Or any town more west. Oh btw it's still me sheenays had to register again as it wouldn't let me log in.

sheenays999 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:30:56

we have looked at Colchester but too expensive too. so far lots of nice houses in Ipswich in our budget but not sure what areas esp with re to schools. my lo is 19months so need to consider alot before he starts his educational journey. smile smile

knittedslippersx2 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:35:01

Broke Hall and Bixley Farm are good areas to live. Both are good for the A12.

knittedslippersx2 Tue 28-Jul-15 09:36:25

What areas have you looked at so far?

sheenays999 Tue 28-Jul-15 10:23:48

We have looked at colchester chelmsford & Claydon which is far out. problem is I don't drive and need buses to town shops etc hence why looking at towns. Thanks for the info so far xxx

petalpower Tue 28-Jul-15 10:48:28

What sort of house are you looking for? Housing estate type, terrace (maybe on street parking)? St Helens school quite well thought off, Sidegate Lane school is large but ok, Clifford Road school is ok.
Stowmarket is a cheaper area with good access to the A14 and a train line to London via Chelmsford.

sheenays999 Tue 28-Jul-15 11:22:31

Thanks Petalpower we looking for a house min 3 bed good schools n transport links bus n motor way so wondering what areas to avoid whilst searching & private parking space .

EssexMummy123 Tue 28-Jul-15 11:23:20

If he's driving to Chelmsford then the A12 can get quite snarled up, worth bearing in mind and getting closer to the A12 if you can.

petalpower Tue 28-Jul-15 14:27:12

Has your husband considered getting the train from Ipswich to Chelmsford each day? The A12 gets very busy. There are no motorways in Suffolk just the A14 and A12 dual carriageways.

knittedslippersx2 Tue 28-Jul-15 15:49:37

What areas in Ipswich have you looked at? I can give you a yay or nay!

sheenays999 Tue 28-Jul-15 16:28:20

Yes he's looked at timings and he leaves early morning off peak so shud be ok I guess. .. just need better standard of life nw coming out from small flat in London. .. and knittedslippersx2 can I pm you the road names?

ihearttc Thu 30-Jul-15 13:55:07

We actually live in Diss so about 20 miles out of Ipswich but right next to the main Norwich-London train line.

My DH works in London and does the commute every day so its definitely doable from Ipswich to Chelmsford.

rumpyrumpole Fri 31-Jul-15 10:30:32

I know this sounds arsey (and no, I didn't mean to be so rude) but there are no motorways in Suffolk - the fact you don't even know this fact suggests you need to do some more legwork before asking about specifics. However, the general rule of thumb is North and East good, South and West not so good.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Fri 31-Jul-15 12:18:23

Rumpypole looking at the op she's calling the A12 a motorway ok that's her mistake but you don't have too go she knows nothing, just go the A12 and A14 aren't motorways.

sheenays999 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:17:58

Iv only been in the country 5 years and I don't drive lol so my apologies for calling it that... I'm clueless as to motorways roads etc... my husband is the one who will be commuting to chelmsford rest of essex.

sheenays999 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:18:13

But thanks for the info smile

sheenays999 Fri 31-Jul-15 13:21:13

My priorities are decent schools, easy access to shops (town centre) and easy drive to get to the A12. Thanks x

Essexmum69 Sat 01-Aug-15 13:05:24

Areas I would consider, but obviously I dont know your budget/ style of home you are looking for:
Kesgrave - range of houses, good public transport, good schools and easy access to A14.
Woodbridge -great schools, easy access to A14, but expensive
Ipswich - in Northgate high school catchment, but this probably doesnt meet the easy access to A12 criteria as roads that way can be an issue at peak times.
Colchester (Highwoods) - wide range of housing, good schools, sports facilities, country park,large tesco!, lots of buses to town, easy A12 access.
West Bergholt - large village outskirts Colchester with good access to Colchester station or A12. Good primary school and lots of community activities going on.
Possibly Marks Tey - very popular with commuters in the London direction as close to A12 and has own station. Not sure re buses to Colchester town centre but you can easily train in. Dont know much about the school though so can't comment.

sheenays999 Sat 01-Aug-15 13:32:36

Thank u sooo much!helps alot!!would you by any chance know what bennett road is like? Iv Seen a few good properties there.

Essexmum69 Sun 02-Aug-15 11:43:31

No sorry, I dont know that end of Ipswich. When I lived in Ipswich (some years ago) it was considered not the best part of town but not the worst either. Westbourne (the secondary school) was made an academy a couple of years ago and I have heard it is "on the up", but I do not know anyone with children there at present. No idea on primaries. If you are catholic then the area wont matter so much as the catholic schools are generally very good.

sheenays999 Sat 08-Aug-15 17:49:49

Hello ladies can anyone tell me what eustace road is like? IP1? Near Springfield school and westbourne academy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now