Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pre-prep days off

(16 Posts)
moonprayer Sun 26-Jul-15 23:30:24

I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this question, but here I am...
We are planning a holiday back to our home country in Jan 2016, which would be during the school term. DS is starting the pre-prep this September in a private school, three days a week. Is it ok to ask for one week's leave for the holiday during the school term? I feel like I am a terrible mother...

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 27-Jul-15 09:17:22

You will almost certainly need to write a formal letter to the head (for their attendance records) IME they will authorize it, but will say they prefer you not to take term time holiday.
Lots of people do do it particularly in Feb to go sking.

LIZS Mon 27-Jul-15 09:22:29

You can but ask. Some schools are stricter than others but if only 3 days a week that suggests nursery which probably won't be an issue.

diploddycus Mon 27-Jul-15 09:26:19

Is pre-prep like nursery? 3 days a week sounds like it is. How old will your DS be? I don't think it would be a problem if he's of nursery age.

moonprayer Mon 27-Jul-15 09:42:24

Yes, I think it is more like a nursery, within a prep school. My DS is turning three in this December. The pre-prep starts from the age of rising three..

moonprayer Mon 27-Jul-15 09:44:48

Thank you all. I probably should ask the school, though everyone is one summer holiday now.

Pagwatch Mon 27-Jul-15 09:45:25

Just tell them.
They won't particularly care although they will want to know formally and they may even reply saying that they can't approve but nothing will happen and your child will not be the only one to miss school for holidays.

balletgirlmum Mon 27-Jul-15 09:49:07

At my childrens pre prep it wouldn't have been a problem in nursery but once they went into reception class formal permission needed to be sought & various letters made IT clear it was at their discretion only.

Pagwatch Mon 27-Jul-15 09:49:46

I don't ask because that implies I will do something different if they say no.

I write saying 'I need to let you know'or 'can I inform you that'

I'm always apologetic because genuinely any days missed are rare and for a special reason but I'm not changing my mind.

Binit Mon 27-Jul-15 09:52:46

He will be under 5 so as long as you write a letter and underline that it's a home country and immediate family/events there. I wouldn't use the word holiday personally!

PipeDownSmallFry Mon 27-Jul-15 11:18:29

Your child is under 5 so not legally required to be in education so the school won't have a problem, they just need to be informed so they know numbers. You obviously still have to pay for the missed sessions. Our dd is in the nursery of a pre prep dept, we took 2 holidays in the last school year during term time, no issues at all, just emailed to let them know she wouldn't be in for those weeks.

PipeDownSmallFry Mon 27-Jul-15 11:22:07

Just to add, you may find that there are admin staff at the school over the holidays (always seems to be at ours) just in case you did want to contact them.

moonprayer Mon 27-Jul-15 12:12:27

Thank you all! I really appreciate all the advice! Wise mums here never let me down and always give me great suggestions! I'll contact school to get permission. Thanks!

ridinghighinapril Mon 27-Jul-15 22:25:55

No need to get permission as there is no legal obligation for him to be at school! A polite letter to inform them that he will be off 'school' for that period should suffice.
Enjoy your holiday !

FabulousFudge Mon 27-Jul-15 22:48:14

They'll appreciate you informing them but they won't mind at all. Enjoy your holiday!

dixiechick1975 Mon 27-Jul-15 23:46:33

We have an absence form on the school website - may be worth checking.

DD's school advise in September when exam weeks are and say please avoid exam week. Other than that sensible holiday requests are authorised (never heard of a refusal). Tacking a few days onto half term for flights or a family going back to pakistan for 3 weeks not just two weeks over xmas is very much the norm. No fines. Is a big perk of being outside the state system. Not only do they authorise but they will even refer to the holiday in assembly etc. Most parents don't take out a lot as you are paying for it and you need leave to cover the school holidays that are 2 weeks longer than state anyway. Music and ballet exams are also ok'd with no fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now