Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth putting something in writing to the HT

(14 Posts)
NickiFury Fri 24-Jul-15 10:51:26

If you feel that your child's teacher has been really fantastic with her this year? Dd has blossomed this year, gone from sobbing every morning and begging not to go to bouncing into school looking like grin.

I wanted to express how great they've been and wondered if it was worth putting it in writing?

Thanks.

CitySnicker Fri 24-Jul-15 10:53:00

I think that would be a lovely thing to do.

NickiFury Fri 24-Jul-15 10:55:39

I definitely know it's them and their methods because she's been there four years and managed ok but this year was just so good and they were so approachable, dd has ASD so it's not always easy. Think I will do it then smile

CitySnicker Fri 24-Jul-15 11:05:50

List what worked well for your child...but please don't make it one of those letters that is a list of instructions to the school disguised as praise...if you are really just wanting to make sure continuity of support / techniques then just have a meeting. Remember the teacher next year might do things differently but it doesn't mean it won't work equally well or even better.

LooksLikeImStuckHere Fri 24-Jul-15 11:07:04

I think it sounds like a great idea.

noblegiraffe Fri 24-Jul-15 11:09:57

If you do it by email, email the teacher and copy in the head. That way both definitely get to see it. The teacher will be delighted to see the head copied in, and will also be able to print off a copy for their performance management.

I've had some lovely and unexpected emails from parents and it has brightened up a stressful end of term.

BetweenTwoLungs Fri 24-Jul-15 11:10:24

As a teacher, I would absolutely love it if someone did this, and to know Id made a difference. Go for it!

PatriciaHolm Fri 24-Jul-15 11:15:50

I did exactly this for DS's yr1 teacher, who turned his attitude to writing and reading around completely; I just sent a short email to the HT, who replied saying it was lovely to hear. So yes I would!

insanityscatching Fri 24-Jul-15 11:51:35

I would too, I have already sent emails to the teachers who have made a difference during dd's first year in Secondary and copied them too the HT. It's been a difficult year and not all of it has been positive (dd has ASD) so I think it is important that I acknowledge what has been good.

teeththief Fri 24-Jul-15 13:57:09

I've written to the HT twice praising teachers (all of the teachers my DC have had over the years have been fab but these two really stood out). The letter has always been shown to the teacher in question and they both cried when they thanked me. Plenty of people are quick to complain so a positive letter is obviously appreciated every now and again grin

Muskey Fri 24-Jul-15 14:01:28

I have done it twice for two very exceptional teachers and both I know were delighted with positive feedback. You'd be surprised it's not often people bother to say thank you to teachers. If you think they deserve it do it

Nowfeeltheneedtopost Fri 24-Jul-15 17:56:58

Definitely do it. I've written a few times (in four years of primary) when teachers have done something that I felt went above and beyond. On one occasion this was a great class teacher, on another this was a music initiative and the third was a sports event which was exceptionally well organised and must have taken huge effort outside of work hours.
I have emailed them to thank them and said exactly why I felt what they had done was so outstanding. I always copied in the Head teacher because I know in my job that it is good for your boss to hear when other people say nice things about you!

NickiFury Fri 24-Jul-15 18:02:19

I will do it later this evening. I know that it's end of term but it will be dated today and hopefully it will be passed on at some point. I've always had plenty to say when it's gone wrong (horribly wrong for my other child with ASD at a different school) so it's only fair to express how great I think they are when its gone right smile.

starlight2007 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:09:56

I think it is a lovely thing to do..I thanked my DS teacher today verbally. If you think they have been exceptional it is worth an email

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now