Talk

Advanced search

Phonic support in Y2 following failed screening

(12 Posts)
gabbybaby Thu 23-Jul-15 11:47:16

My DD has struggled through Y1 and "not made any progress" according to her teacher, especially in phonics and literacy (this was not a surprise. We have had various meetings throughout the year with Senco, class teacher and others, and she has been getting lots of extra support, as well as being on the school list for an ed psych assessment next yr). Her class teacher spent a lot of extra time with her in the last few weeks, determined to get her through her phonics screening. I obviously appreciate the effort her teacher put in (she told me in the weeks leading up to the screening, she was spending daily one on one time with her to go over her digraph sounds), and the results showed in the tests, where in that time she went from initially scoring 17/40 when her teacher started spending time with her, to her final result of 27/40 in the actual test, so a huge jump in the space of about 3 weeks of hardcore training to the test. She didn't pass, which is fine, but the improvement was amazing. However, I'm now concerned that despite the fail, the result has masked the issue my DD is having, which is that she is lost and unable to learn in a classroom environment, and needs that one on one support in order to progress. So my question is, will she receive extra support just for "failing" (I hate that word for my not-yet-6 yo), or are there levels of "failing" and as she was actually reasonably close, she'll be overlooked in support from school, in favour of those with a "worse" fail? Or will the fact that the school is aware that she is struggling in the classroom, to the extent that they are referring her for an ed psych assessment, take precedence and she'll receive all the extra support that she would have done if her final result was the 17/40 that it could have been without the one on one help she got leading up to the tests? Or am I just a bit crazy for worrying when I should just be thankful that her teacher made the time to spend that extra time supporting her??!

mrz Thu 23-Jul-15 12:39:12

The screening check is to identify those children who need additional support (the child hasn't failed). She should as a result of the check receive extra help (but there is a thread where a parent has been told her child who also scored 27 doesn't need support ) so it is worth making sure that support is given.
If the school have already recognised she is struggling in school that is a positive start.

maizieD Thu 23-Jul-15 12:44:03

So my question is, will she receive extra support just for "failing" (I hate that word for my not-yet-6 yo),

I hate that word, too, and nobody at all should be using it when talking of 6y olds. Unfortunately all the hysteria from teachers about the PSC has made it part of the rhetoric of their objection and they use it as a device to gain sympathy of parents. The irresponsibility and stupidity of this really upsets me. There is absolutey no need for children or parents to be made to feel that their children are in some way 'failures' because they are identified as needing extra help with learning to read. What annoys me even more is that the use of the word has originated with the 'all children are different', 'no formal learning', 'discovery learning', 'learning through play' nominally childcentred section of teachers yet these wonderful, empathatic, sensitive, childhood loving folks have no hesitation in describing children as 'failures' if they can't 'pass' the PSC and then twist on about how damaging knowing that they've 'failed' is for the chidren . How do they know they've 'failed'? Because your wonderful childloving, sensitive, empathetic EY teacher told you and your parents that you have. Bah!

Rant over.

27/40 is a poor level, even though it is a big improvement on her previous achievement. Any child who scores below the standard should get extra support for their phonics learning and if a significant number fail to reach the standard (i.e such that you are worried that 37/40 might not be 'bad' enough to attract support) then the school should really be looking closely at how they are teaching phonics...

What worries me is the fact that she appears to have been allowed to coast for so long. Why wasn't she getting more intensive support in YR? Three weeks before the PSC is leaving it a bit late...

I do hope that the stuff she learned as a result of the intensive help is retained. Is she getting lots of practice of reading decodable books containing the letter/sound correspondences that she knows? It's no good learning them and then not using them for reading (and writing).

maizieD Thu 23-Jul-15 12:45:14

P.S sorry about typos, my 'l' isn't working very wel...sad

gabbybaby Thu 23-Jul-15 13:20:05

Thanks for your responses.

MaisieD - She's been having booster reading 3x week all year. We do obviously also do reading at home, but with other issues she's having, the amount we can do fluctuates depending on her mood! I have no idea how others in her class did, but as I mentioned, it has already been identified that she is below where she should be, so I'm not that it's a teaching issue in general - everyone else is fine - she has already been identified as struggling in the classroom and has been on the list for an assessment since the beginning of the year. Writing is a whole different issue. She is having regular OT to help with that as she can barely write legibly at all. I think she needs more one on one support - which has been identified by her teacher - but the school haven't been able to provide this as she has been formally assessed.

mrz Thu 23-Jul-15 13:34:27

What did the booster reading involve?

gabbybaby Thu 23-Jul-15 14:00:22

Mrz - either parent volunteers or a teacher or the librarian doing 20 or so minutes reading with them at the beginning of the school day. Guided by the librarian/teacher in what they are reading

Cedar03 Thu 23-Jul-15 14:32:31

You need to keep asking the school what they are going to do support her next year. They ought to be developing a plan.

Did those doing the booster reading have the special training to work with someone who is struggling? I used to be a volunteer listener to children in Year 2 but I don't have the knowledge to help a child who is struggling to learn in the normal way. So I would be asking about how that support will be given next year.

gabbybaby Thu 23-Jul-15 15:08:44

Thanks for the suggestion. Too late for this year now but I need to remember to add that to the list for September!

mrz Thu 23-Jul-15 15:37:28

I'm shocked that she hasn't received phonic support until they started to panic about the phonics screening check. "Teaching to the test" should never be necessary!

gabbybaby Thu 23-Jul-15 16:43:28

Mrz - apparently she had additional small group phonics throughout the year, although I'm not sure that actually involved.

Feenie Thu 23-Jul-15 19:59:16

What kind of reading books are they giving her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now