Talk

Advanced search

If your child has recently been in Reception in England, how was their day structured?

(39 Posts)
LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 17:14:39

This is kind of a thread sparked by a thread, but hopefully not the naughty 'thread about a thread' kind. smile

I was talking on another thread with an early years teacher about the structure of the Reception day (in English state schools). We were both surprised by the experiences each other had had in the schools we knew. So, in best MN fashion, I thought I'd ask others what their experience was. It fascinates me that things can vary such a lot (especially since it seems to be the case that a lot of local schools will be similar, so people really have very little choice).

So, here goes:

1. Does your school have free flow for any part of the day, and if not, why not?

2. Do Reception children have a morning and/or afternoon playtime, or just lunchtime?

3. Is milk something they all sit down for or 'help yourself'?

4. Do Reception children do PE lessons?

5. Do Reception children have assembly (either by themselves, or with any/all other year groups).

Thanks!

spanieleyes Wed 22-Jul-15 17:16:51

1.Yes
2.All three
3.they have snack time
4.Yes
5.Yes

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 17:19:18

Thanks!

SocksRock Wed 22-Jul-15 17:21:34

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. They all sit down for snack time together and milk is served then.
4. Yes although they spend more time changing than doing PE, especially at the start of the year!
5. Yes

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 17:24:55

Ha ha. 4 was definitely true with DD1 socks!

MrsChocolateBrownie Wed 22-Jul-15 17:54:55

Yes
Morning and lunchtime
Sat down together at snack time
Yes from the start of first term
Yes - small school so do whole school assembly as well as class assembly

Bunnyjo Wed 22-Jul-15 20:11:18

DS is in nursery, but it's a mixed nursery, reception and year 1 class. Plus his DSis is going into year 4 in the same school and the routines haven't changed much in the last few years.

1. Yes.
2. All 3.
3. They have a snack time in the morning and they also have milk then.
4. Yes. Even the nursery children take part in PE during the last half term of the year (and they loved it).
5. Yes. It's a small village school and the head teacher is also the class teacher for EYFS and lower KS1. As such the kids in her class participate in assemblies, including reception children.

hels71 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:03:28

1. Yes
2. all three
3. there is a snack time and they all eat/drink together sitting down
4. yes, from the start of term 1
5. yes...

This is for two schools I work in.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 21:05:34

Interesting. You all match me so far.smile

So no one so far with full free flow all day and no structured bits - like assembly?

RiverTam Wed 22-Jul-15 21:08:20

1. Yes
2. Don't know but think it's more than just lunchtime
3. No idea if they have milk
4. Yes, though it seems to get dropped too often for my liking
5. Yes to both

hazeyjane Wed 22-Jul-15 21:08:34

1. Does your school have free flow for any part of the day, and if not, why not? yes

2. Do Reception children have a morning and/or afternoon playtime, or just lunchtime? morning, afternoon and lunchtime play

3. Is milk something they all sit down for or 'help yourself'? sit down for

4. Do Reception children do PE lessons? yes

5. Do Reception children have assembly (either by themselves, or with any/all other year groups). yes

This is for 3 different children in 2 different schools over the last 4 years

moab Wed 22-Jul-15 21:10:04

1. Does your school have free flow for any part of the day, and if not, why not?
Yes

2. Do Reception children have a morning and/or afternoon playtime, or just lunchtime?
Just lunch as free flow is independent learning through play so they don't need extra just play time

3. Is milk something they all sit down for or 'help yourself'?
Help yourself

4. Do Reception children do PE lessons?
No

5. Do Reception children have assembly (either by themselves, or with any/all other year groups).
Only in summer term with KS1

bobajob Wed 22-Jul-15 21:12:52

Morning activities
Registration
Taught phonics carpet session
Choosing/free flow
Snack time (sat down in a group)
Some days handwriting (sat at tables), some days assembly
Choosing/free flow
Lunch
Registration
Taught maths carpet session
Choosing/free flow
Topic carpet session
Hometime

PE is taught by PE teacher to cover PPA time.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 21:14:59

Ooh moab first in the other camp.smile

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 21:19:41

11/1 so far.
I am interested because it seems a pretty big difference in style but most parents will have no ability to choose between the two.

Smartiepants79 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:22:23

Child just finished yr R and I work in a primary. So..
1. Both settings have free flow.
2. Both settings have three play times a day.
3. One sit down for milk the other allows them to have it when they feel like it, this doesn't work in my opinion as several don't bother and the milk is wasted.
4. Yes they both have PE sessions
5.yes they both have assembly. Both key stage and whole school.

Both settings are small schools and church schools so this definitely impacts on the collective worship bit.

moab Wed 22-Jul-15 21:24:10

Which, as a parent, do you prefer?

If I had a choice I'd go for
1 yes to free flow
2 no afternoon and morning play as it disrupts free flow
3 a proper snack time as it promotes conversation / healthy eating / "table" manners
4 yes to pe. A lot of children need it for the gross motor skills
5 no preference really on assembly but reception should get used to it before year one but it doesn't need to be every day

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 22-Jul-15 21:25:05

1. Yes
2. 3 plus golden time on a Friday where their behaviour earns an activity
3. Sit down and fruit
4. PE lessons
5. Catholic school so weekly liturgy and a golden assembly which is enrichment .

moab Wed 22-Jul-15 21:26:44

Ken. does Golden time include a special activity that's not normally out during free flow?

mrscee Wed 22-Jul-15 21:30:06

yes
yes
not sure think they all sit down and have fruit and milk
no pe in reception. have to Get pe kit for year 1
yes assembly every week

LibrariesGaveUsPower Wed 22-Jul-15 21:40:14

Moab - As a parent I definitely want PE and a formal snack time. Even the two year olds at our pre-school benefited from that structured sit down snack time. I don't have strong opinions on assembly.

For free-flow, yes, I like it. I'm not a massive fan of sit down structured all class time. But on the other hand I'm torn because DD1 adored the 'sitting at a desk for 20 minutes in a small group' intervals they did and I'm not sure how you go about that in entirely free flow - is that type of structured learning one of the options or is it all learning through play?

Break - I'm not sure they need an afternoon one. But our free flow area doesn't have the big wide spaces they get in their section of the field and playground (it's more tree house, small garden, sand trays, etc type stuff). I think quite a lot of the more physical children do benefit from being able to burn off that 'charging around' energy that their free flow area doesn't have space for. Just that ruuuuuuuuuuuun that some 4 year olds need to regularly!

MooseyMoo Wed 22-Jul-15 21:42:18

Yes
yes, all three
They have snack time (and tuck shop on a Friday where they chose their own snack)
Yes, twice a week
Yes, all years. Each class takes turns to do a performance/presentation. Parents are welcome when it's their child's class taking part.

citymum3 Wed 22-Jul-15 21:45:36

Free flow
No set play time as so much free flow, just a lunch break.
Help yourself snacks but must sit down to eat and drink
No PE ( they are outside a lot anyway)
Assembly at least weekly sometimes more.

Third child through this system. None of them in evil Dickensiam horror story style system described elsewhere. DD has spent most of year hanging upside down on climbing frame or covering herself in paint from what I see/ hear.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 22-Jul-15 21:58:08

DD was in reception last year.

1. Does your school have free flow for any part of the day, and if not, why not? Yes

2. Do Reception children have a morning and/or afternoon playtime, or just lunchtime? Outside play three times a day

3. Is milk something they all sit down for or 'help yourself'? Each week someone is "milk monitor" and hands out the milk or orange juice at snack time

4. Do Reception children do PE lessons? Yes, three times a week, plus swimming in summer term

5. Do Reception children have assembly (either by themselves, or with any/all other year groups). Yes, twice a week with whole school, once a week with their house, once a week with all of KS1 with a church group who come in

TRexingInAsda Wed 22-Jul-15 22:02:07

1. No idea
2. Yes to am & pm play as well as lunch
3. They still have milk? Awesome, I thought that went out with Thatcher!
4. Yes, once a week
5. Yes, I think so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now