Talk

Advanced search

SATs results - did you get letters and numbers?

(24 Posts)
PigWhisperer Tue 21-Jul-15 20:21:31

My daughter got her SATS results a couple of days ago, but I was surprised to see she had only been given a number and not a letter as well. I queried it with the school and was told that the number was the only information available to the school. I did want to know the actual result because I was curious to see her progress from the start of the year.

I have pondered on it and read some threads here and a number of mums netters have mentioned their children's results and they have all been given letters and numbers, 4A, 5B, 6C etc etc.

Does it vary by area? Is the school being obtuse?

gymboywalton Tue 21-Jul-15 20:22:30

we only got numbers
i asked the head and she had a look at the raw scores and converted for me

Emochild Tue 21-Jul-15 21:00:51

Teacher assessment included letters

Sats scores were just numbers

redskybynight Tue 21-Jul-15 21:11:52

SATS scores were just numbers. Teacher assessment (reading, writing, maths) included letters. Teacher assessment (science) just numbers.

wheresthebeach Wed 22-Jul-15 08:40:32

We got just numbers for both. School refusing to give me raw scores - treating SATS like a state secret. Have asked under data protection etc etc and being fobbed off that Head on holiday.

Some schools open and helpful. Others not so much!

DeeWe Wed 22-Jul-15 10:33:04

For year 6 you don't get a letter if they've got 5 or 6, for 4 you do get letters a,b,c.
So this must be a stealth boast. wink

However the teachers assessment they may choose to give sublevels for 5 and 6.

So my dd got for her sats results: 5, 5, 6
But for her teacher assessment: 5a, 5b, 6b.
That's not a stealth boast. It's a blatant one. grin

Feenie Wed 22-Jul-15 11:50:16

For year 6 you don't get a letter if they've got 5 or 6, for 4 you do get letters a,b,c.

That's not true.

The only statutory information that schools have to report is a whole level judgement, both for teacher assessment and tests.

DeeWe Wed 22-Jul-15 12:13:57

Okay. That is standard round here. Same as for year 2 you only get a sublevel if you are a level 2. I assumed it was standard across the country, obviously not.

For teacher assessment (which they get on top of Sats in year 6 and for all other years) they do get sublevels in all scores.

Cabbagesaregreen Wed 22-Jul-15 12:21:05

We got numbers and letters for ks2 sats.

JemimaPuddled Wed 22-Jul-15 12:22:36

I do think I varies. Yes they only "have to" give out a level number. Ds2's school gave us the actual marks for all his SAT papers and the sublevel too (number and letter) but I gather this sort of detail is the exception not the rule. The school I taught in, in the same local authority, only ever gave a number, no sublevels whatsoever.
They're reassessed at the start of the new academic year anyway grin and high schools don't seem to particularly trust SATs results these days.

We only got numbers in KS2 whatever level it was.

TantrumsAndBalloons Wed 22-Jul-15 12:29:33

Only numbers here for SATS in year 6

EggOnTheFloor Wed 22-Jul-15 12:32:47

We only got numbers for the Y6 SATS, in both teacher and examination assessments. Wouldn't have occurred to me to ask for a letter as well, I assumed that was for schools to show how close a child was to getting a certain number eg. 3a in December means child could be reaching 4c in June etc. When it comes to the actual exam you only need the number.

WhattodowithMum Wed 22-Jul-15 19:15:03

We were given letters and numbers for both teacher assessment and SAT scores.

youarekiddingme Thu 23-Jul-15 11:42:27

We only got numbers here too.

Got levels for literacy (speaking/listening, spag, reading and writing), science and maths. It's the first year I haven't been given a sublevel.
However DS has bought home his books and his English assessment book told me all I need to know!

I would have only wanted sub levels to ensure progress had been made tbh as the actual levels won't make a difference now as the curriculum has changed. The secondary school DS is moving too have an excellent (IMO) progress tracking system and transfer from levels to it.

So DS got

Literacy - level 4 across the board. (I know he was a 4C as its on his IEP! And he literally got it by 1 mark in spag!, his reading he got a 4A using some assessment according to teacher.)
Science - level 5 (teacher assessed and expected as level 3 at KS1)
Maths - level 6. (Test result was 40/50 in SATS and pretty darn good as he was a 2A at KS1 tests!)

Vevvie Thu 23-Jul-15 13:26:45

We got numbers for the actual SATS.

Teacher told the children what sub levels they'd got and how far off they were to the next level/sub level, according to the thresholds.

Teacher assessment gave sub levels.

Feenie Thu 23-Jul-15 20:03:09

for year 2 you only get a sublevel if you are a level 2.

Yes, that's also statutory in KS1 assessment for reading, writing and maths at level 2. For science, speaking and listening or for other levels a broad level judgement only is required.

Moleyjay Thu 23-Jul-15 20:15:11

You only get a number when results come back to school along with a raw score, schools can decide on the letter a,b or c according to the raw score but as the school are deciding (no official sub levels)on the grade boundaries they are not reported as fact.
I told my class what their sub level or raw score was if they wanted to know but it wasn't routinely reported.

Muskey Thu 23-Jul-15 20:34:21

Last year we got numbers and letters for English science and maths. Dd got English 5c,5b and 5a maths 4a science 4c this year in year six she got 5 across the board for English and maths although the maths teacher did give dd % (79%) and science 4a. The school choose not to put any child in for the level 6 papers. From this I have assumed that dd has probably coasted in year 6 for English and has done much better in maths and science than I expected.

pinksquash13 Thu 23-Jul-15 23:54:18

Some data tracking software e.g. target tracker convert the score to a sublevel automatically so we give that out. The gov only give levels not sublevels. There will be no levels reported next year. Yr6 will be pass or fail in maths I believe

Feenie Fri 24-Jul-15 12:12:21

Really? I'm not sure that that's correct - the dfe want standardised scores and to rank every 10/11 year old in the country, but I've not read or heard anything about a pass/fail.

Parents may be surprised to hear that as late as last week the Standards and Testing Agency were sending emails to heads which stated that ministerial decisions were still to be made regarding teacher assessment in Year 2 and 6 for the academic year beginning Sept 20015. Presumably these are the same ministers who have now buggered off on their summer break without making said decisions. hmm

Feenie Fri 24-Jul-15 12:12:54

wizzler Sat 25-Jul-15 21:53:16

Just numbers here for Y6 stats... I was surprised too OP!

CarlaJones Sun 26-Jul-15 10:20:06

On the official result form we just got a number, but the school told us the actual score and converted it to the sub level (letter) I found out my dd got one mark below the next level or sub level for two tests and two marks below the next sub level for the other one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now