Talk

Advanced search

School report and cut and paste

(13 Posts)
AnotheBloodyChinHair Tue 21-Jul-15 06:44:23

DD's Y3 school report. She is referred to as someone else in her class twice and she's also referred to as 'he' and 'they'. Would you comment on it?

MrsHathaway Tue 21-Jul-15 06:44:59

Yes. Not good enough.

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 21-Jul-15 07:16:57

No. Do you ever make a tiny mistake at work? Think about the millions of small tasks a teacher (or anyone) has to do in the course of their working day or week. Think about how minuscule this error is in the grand scheme of things.

I certainly have many, many more important things to ensure I get right while I'm teaching (and planning for and assessing) other people's children.

OrangeSquashTallGlass Tue 21-Jul-15 07:19:24

Just to complain = no. If you want a revised copy = yes.

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Tue 21-Jul-15 07:20:03

More important than knowing which child is which Asleep? Parents don't get a lot of feedback at primary school, reports matter to them. The OP's DC's report isn't clear it's even about her child. Not good enough.

MrsHathaway Tue 21-Jul-15 07:30:32

A report with the wrong names and pronouns in it hasn't been proof read at all. How can OP have any confidence in its content?

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 21-Jul-15 07:30:55

He and they? Of course the teacher knows which child is which! It's just a proof reading error ( which should have been picked up by someone else anyway).

Candycoco Tue 21-Jul-15 07:46:15

My dd's report last year referred to her twice as 'he'. It also said how she'd really enjoyed taking part in some activity (that was bought in by the school, can't remember what it was) when she wasn't even there that day.

I called and asked for the mistakes to be corrected and for a new copy to be sent home. They did this no problem.

I keep all of her reports for her to look at in the future and didn't want an incorrect one. For it to not even be proof read is ridiculous.

Sirzy Tue 21-Jul-15 07:47:27

I spent a morning a few weeks back proof reading reports for just that sort of error. I should have been picked up on

Chipsahoythere Tue 21-Jul-15 07:48:20

I would have to say something.
At my school our head of department checks them, then form tutors proof read reports for students in their form, then SLT read and check them.

Not good enough at all to be making these mistakes. Especially in primary where you're writing approx 30 reports. I wrote 90 year 8 reports a few weeks ago!

leccybill Tue 21-Jul-15 08:10:19

I would say something on the feedback sheet and if there was no comeback, in person.

It's not good enough. They should have been proofread by a line manager.
I teach secondary and write 200 reports which are subject to review by three people before publishing.

Galena Tue 21-Jul-15 09:04:04

One mistake, fine, could be an oversight.

4 or 5 mistakes, not good enough. I would say something, and I'm a teacher - I know how hard report writing is.

mrz Tue 21-Jul-15 09:11:08

Many schools use report writing software and I've found it quite common for it to substitute he for she or her for his. In the version we use for it to change everyone's name to "James" so I wouldn't automatically assume cut and paste rather than something missed in the proof reading (and to be honest after you've written and read 30 reports it's easy to miss)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now