Talk

Advanced search

Handwriting

(14 Posts)
alem Sun 19-Jul-15 12:30:11

Hi, both my children (age 7 and 8) need to work on their handwriting, and I was going to make a start with this over the holidays.
Can anyone suggest good resources for this? Do I need to buy a work book, or can I download work sheets from the internet? Do they need to work on particular 'drills', or just copy out x paragraphs per day?
Thanks for any advice.

mrz Sun 19-Jul-15 12:44:30

Don't use work books or sheets that focus on tracing over dotty letters or greyed out lines. Much better to use handwriting lines and teach correct formation of letters.

Teach in letter families
c, o, a, d, g, s, e, q, f
l, i, t, u, y, j,
r, n, m, h, k, p, b
v, w, x, z

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 19-Jul-15 13:49:16

Are they using cursive? Joined or not?

Get them to write:-

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

It uses all the letters in the alphabet. This on top of the letter families, as mrz suggested, will help enormously.

alem Sun 19-Jul-15 17:48:28

Thank you both. Yes, they are writing joined up. I knew they weren't that neat, my ds especially, but the end of term reports both mentioned it as something to work on, and I didn't know where to start.

Pikkewyn Sun 19-Jul-15 18:23:56

We were told to make sure they were forming letters correctly as it make all the difference to tidiness of cursive. I bought some handwriting books from Amazon with the 3 lines to help get tall, short and underground letters in proportion.

We also did lines of patterns in various colours, DD loved it. We used these as an inspiration

lolalotta Sun 19-Jul-15 21:34:33

Mrz, my DD age 5 is keen to practice her handwriting, did I see you recommend a particular pen for little ones to use for writing on here aaaaages ago or did I imagine that? I'm find my uni ball pens she's smudges and wasn't sure what to go for! Thank you!

mrz Sun 19-Jul-15 21:44:07

I would use soft pencils rather than pens when first starting out

Lurkedforever1 Sun 19-Jul-15 21:44:09

Anything for fine motor control so crafts etc. And something that motivates them so it's not a task to be completed at speed because they want it over and done with. so anything from asking them to write you a piece to persuade you to go to the park later, or about their interests, an info book on their hobby, letter to their favourite sports star, make a newspaper etc, with reminders to be as neat as possible.

mrz Sun 19-Jul-15 21:45:10

Writing on a vertical surface is good

lolalotta Mon 20-Jul-15 05:55:07

Thank you! I will ask her to use a pencil for now! Thanks for the tip about vertical surfaces! grin

Sunflower123456 Mon 20-Jul-15 10:55:12

My primary (a top private) school insisted everybody use ink pens instead of biros, because biros are too fast to write neatly.

mrz Mon 20-Jul-15 15:09:47

Even four year olds?

Sunflower123456 Mon 20-Jul-15 15:40:43

I can't remember, but I remember I only had ink pens until secondary school, and my hand writing was the neatest in the class.

mrz Mon 20-Jul-15 15:43:48

In my ordinary state primary we used fountain pens once we'd learnt how to form letters correctly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now