Any primary school teachers here?

(14 Posts)
MrsChiefTyrell Fri 17-Jul-15 21:34:05

Hello.

I'm seriously considering training as a primary school teacher, something I've always wanted to do but for various reasons have never been able to.

I'm ready to go back to work part time next year (although it will obviously take me quite a while longer to study and train) and full time in 3 years time and I really do think that this is the right option for me as a long term career.

However, I do not have a degree. I have researched a little online and from what I can see I need to have at least a 2:1 and then do a PGCE which takes 1 year full time. Is this correct?

As I do not have a degree as yet I plan on studying and working part time (my partner works so we have a family income) perhaps studying with the Open University. Does it matter what my degree is in? Does it need to be a academic subject like Biology or English Literature or could it be in "Early Years Education" or perhaps even Childhood and Youth Studies?

Lastly, I will be 35 by the time I have completed my degree and the PGCE- is this really unusually old for a NQT? Am I going to find it too hard to gain employment at the end of it all?

Thank you and any advice is very much appreciated.

spanieleyes Fri 17-Jul-15 21:42:21

Yes, you do need a degree and, whilst relevant curriculum subjects are useful they are not a necessity-unlike in secondary teaching, a good degree in childhood studies would stand you in good stead too. You can get onto a PGCE ( a one year course) with a 2.2 but a 2.1 or higher would give you an advantage ( and a bursary!!)
As to your age, I was 43 when I qualified, 35 is nothing!!

Galena Fri 17-Jul-15 21:55:52

What about a BEd?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 17-Jul-15 22:24:54

There were plenty of students in their 40s and 50s on my BEd. And a fair number in their late 20s and 30s. Nobody will bat an eyelid at you being 35 as an NQT.

MrsChiefTyrell Fri 17-Jul-15 22:28:44

Thank you for your replies, it's a huge relief to know I won't be considered "old" as a NQT. All the NQT's our children have had seem to be so very young.

Is a Bed considered the best degree for "employability" purposes? I'm obviously a little concerned that I will do my degree and PGCE then not be able to find employment.

MrsChiefTyrell Fri 17-Jul-15 22:29:34

BEd that is ahem NOT to be confused with my BED which I am currently in need of smile

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 17-Jul-15 22:33:28

I'm not sure it makes a difference. I remember being told that a BEd was better for primary, but most of the teachers I know now have a PGCE. Either it has always been total rubbish or it no longer applies.

spanieleyes Fri 17-Jul-15 22:36:46

I'd agree, i'm not sure a B.Ed is a necessity ( and it does cut down on any future options if you decide teaching isn't for you!).

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Fri 17-Jul-15 22:44:41

Tell me about it. There are things you can do, but if you want a complete change it's fairly limited.

Emochild Fri 17-Jul-15 22:49:02

I'm doing a BEd at the moment -oldest person on the course is 50

I considered degree and PGCE vs the BEd and decided on the BEd because of the way the placements are spaced -you have time to reflect after each placement before you move onto the next one, as opposed to the very tough year that is a PGCE

Teachers I know have taken different routes into teaching, there are pros and cons to both but personally I appreciate the university contact time of the BEd

EnormousDormouse Fri 17-Jul-15 22:56:09

Degree + PGCE= more flexibility

I did my PGCE when I was 38. There were 21 year olds straight out of uni and 50 year olds on their 3rd career. I loved it.

But, before you do anything, if you haven't already, please do some work experience/ volunteering in schools. With fees, its best to find out if you really want to do it/ can hack it before spending cash.

I'm getting out after 6 years and still owe loads on my student loan!

MrsChiefTyrell Fri 17-Jul-15 22:56:40

Am I correct in stating that the very nature of the BEd means that it is not possible to study via distance learning / OU?

MrsChiefTyrell Fri 17-Jul-15 22:57:54

Thanks Enormous Doormouse - I am going to be volunteering in a primary school from September.

loolah83 Sat 18-Jul-15 07:41:00

I'm 32 and just finished my NQT year. On my PGCE last year, most of my friends were the more mature students. One lady was in her 50's. They all secured NQT jobs with no trouble. Absolutely go for it if you think you will be happy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now