Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for maths resources for over holidays for DD going into year 5

(5 Posts)
diplodocus Fri 17-Jul-15 11:01:20

DD (9) has been doing OK at maths (3a at end of yr 4) but certainly doesn't find it easy, and I'm concerned she'll struggle a bit as they go into the extended year 5 curriculum next year. I'd like her to do a bit of maths over the summer to improve her confidence with numbers, but obviously want to make sure I don't confuse her with different ways of doing things. Can anyone suggest either some booklets or online sites that I could use to help her with this? I'm looking to consolidate what she's learnt / develop general number confidence and understanding rather than learn anything new, so ideally "problems" may be good. She already knows her tables etc.
Thanks

diplodocus Fri 17-Jul-15 11:02:20

Oh - also meant to ask, I hear the "Singapore method" is good for this kind of thing, but will it cause problems by showing her different ways of doing things compared with school?

Tissie Fri 17-Jul-15 16:37:48

It can be helpful to buy a revision practice book from Smiths or the like but there are numerous web sites some free, some not. If you google interactive maths sites you will get lots of suggestions to try: mathletics is very popular and used a lot in schools. Good web sites for worksheets include: superteacher worksheets;primaryresources.co.uk; mathworksheet4kids.com;snappy maths; maths is fun.
Can I suggest you create some reward system for doing this. I work with an ASD boy and the reward system which is not based on getting things right but on having a go; working without complaining etc. I have a box of low cost "toys" including pens, pencils face paints, false nails each of which has a cost in reward points.
If you want a better idea of what your daughter can/can't do then go to www.sats-papers.co.uk and download an optional yr5 pair of SATs papers. Don't do them as tests but allow your daughter to take her time and mark things she feels she can't do. You can get answer papers on the same site. I hope this is helpful. pm me if you want to talk more.

diplodocus Fri 17-Jul-15 20:41:42

Thanks Tissie. That's very helpful. I think I'll try the workbooks as while the websites are good, she often finds them a bit fast moving, and if there's multiple choice she'll guess. Will look at mathletics though Good idea to reward concentration and effort though.

Ferguson Sat 18-Jul-15 19:36:14

I was a primary TA for twenty years, and will give you my standard Numeracy advice. It also has two good web site links, which cover all primary year groups:

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:

ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other
etc,
then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now