Talk

Advanced search

How cruel children can be.

(5 Posts)
drzeus Wed 15-Jul-15 19:01:46

DS2 is about to leave primary, after a year where he's been continually bullied emotionally. Low level stuff, but enough to knock his confidence and self esteem so it's now pretty low. Despite me talking to the school, I think very little (if anything) was done and it's now reached the point where he (and I) are counting the days to the end of term.

Just walked with him to school for a function this evening. A couple of girls from his year were talking (loudly) with a couple of other girls (who I believe will be at his secondary school, possibly in his tutor group). As I walked past, they were talking about DS1 and one of them said "Oh, xxxxx, he's just a cry-baby".

Much as I wanted to go up and give this girl a slice of reality and tell her what I thought, I figured that I'd be better off leaving it as it might backfire and cause him further issues. I am sitting here fuming. What makes it doubly difficult is that I work at school.

Did I do the right thing? Should I have gone over? I feel like I've let him down, as the school have this last year.

Why are children so bloody cruel.

Itshouldntmatter Wed 15-Jul-15 19:37:12

I don't have anything really useful to add, but I just wanted to say I can totally understand your desire to go over and set the girls right. It is awful having to listen to anyone upsetting your child. I think I'd probably find it easier to tell of children being mean to someone else's child than my own.

For what it's worth, I'd think you probably were right to ignore them. Just to add, when my friend's son was suffering from self esteem issues due to issues within his class, she sent him to a drama class outside school. She was saying the other day how much it had helped him with his confidence, and his ability to interact with his peers (not suggesting that is a problem your son has). Might be worth considering.

I hope your son has a great evening.

Luna9 Wed 15-Jul-15 20:42:09

Very sad that nothing was done to help his self esteem. Why did you keep him in this school?and can he not go to a different secondary school where he will be with different children?

My brother was bullied all his school life; still affecting him through adulthood; he is very bright but the lack of confidence has affected him through his career.

You should have stand for him and maybe he will learn to stand for himself.

drzeus Wed 15-Jul-15 21:24:53

Not an option to move him. The secondary school is where his brother is. There will be different children to be friends with. Believe me, I will be keeping tabs on what happens there.

I feel like I've let him down. I was bullied at school and know how totally shit it was.

Millymollymama Wed 15-Jul-15 22:17:31

For what its worth there are so many more children to be friends with at secondary school and your DS will find people more like him. He does need to build up some resilience to these silly girls and do you actually know they will be in his tutor group? Does anyone know this yet? I would be vigilant but do try and equip him with the skills he will need to negotiate secondary school because you want it to be a good experience so go in with a positive view and don't expect him to be a victim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now