Talk

Advanced search

School report question

(10 Posts)
Naicecuppatea Wed 15-Jul-15 14:34:39

Just wondering if anyone might know what 'meeting criteria for 'surpassing'' might mean in terms of a Progress Update as part of the report? Child is Y1. Thanks!

christinarossetti Wed 15-Jul-15 22:13:45

If they're surpassing national expectations they're working ahead of what is expected at the end of Y1, so are doing well.

Millymollymama Wed 15-Jul-15 22:30:46

I really don't understand why schools don't provide parents with a glossary of new terms that are being used to describe progress. It would be so much easier!!!

FennyBridges Wed 15-Jul-15 22:32:51

Maybe they think adults know what 'surpassing' means? Or could deploy a dictionary or search engine to find out?

CheckpointCharlie Wed 15-Jul-15 22:33:31

I think it would mean that they are working within level 2 (old school) which is good! It's so annoying but good news for your DC!

Naicecuppatea Wed 15-Jul-15 22:41:48

Obviously I know what surpassing means. I just wondered how they would work this out or if there was any formal criteria to tick this box. Thank you.

mrz Thu 16-Jul-15 06:39:08

In the new curriculum working within old level 2 wouldn't be "surpassing"
You need to ask the teacher if the written summary doesn't explain exactly what your child can do.

mrz Thu 16-Jul-15 06:45:31

It means they've "ticked" all the criteria for Y1 and your child will have investigated and studied in greater depth that children achieving expected level

FennyBridges Fri 17-Jul-15 00:08:03

www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-years-foundation-stage-profile-handbook/areas-of-learning-exceeding-descriptors

In that case, this could be what you are looking for.

mrz Fri 17-Jul-15 07:38:00

That document only applies to reception children and there is no equivalent for children in Y1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now