Talk

Advanced search

Poor child poor teacher

(20 Posts)
Lizziewarmington Tue 14-Jul-15 17:37:28

Our Y6 teacher is fantastic and our Dc have had a great year, however one parent is a nightmare. Never satisfied, her poor child is always made to feel negative. Now I find out said parent has complained her child hasn't been star of the week. What can fellow parents do to put her straight?

Canyouforgiveher Tue 14-Jul-15 17:39:34

nothing. it is none of your business. I'm sure the teacher is well able to manage parents.

and it is possible that this parent has an entirely different - but equally valid - view of the teacher.

Starlightbright1 Tue 14-Jul-15 17:41:25

Well if it is like our school ..Each child gets child of the week.. which is why I tend to not take too much notice..So if this is the case in your school I would also complain as my child would be aware he was one of the only ones but then also would know he only got it because I complained.

My Ds only got it this week which I know is because he is the only one not to get it .. I really generally hate child/star of the week.

soapboxqueen Tue 14-Jul-15 17:41:33

Nothing. Other than express your thanks for the work they have done with your child. It goes with the territory I'm afraid.

teeththief Tue 14-Jul-15 18:26:47

Why is it your business if she's complained about her child not being star of the week. Assuming it's the same as every other school I know, every child gets star of the week at some point so she has a valid reason to speak up if her child hasn't had it by now.

Just concentrate on your own child and thank the teacher for their work

teeththief Tue 14-Jul-15 18:27:34

Also, if her child is always made to feel negative surely getting star of the week at some point would make them feel better about themselves?

DeeWe Tue 14-Jul-15 20:34:26

It is certianly possible to have a brilliant teacher who other parents feel is a nightmare, or the other way round.
Even among my dc there was one teacher one had whom I was pretty indifferent about who just got one of my other dc and she was wonderful with them.
One of my dc this year has had a teacher that I know people have complained about. however I feel she's done my dc brilliantly.

It is also possible that this teacher favours your dc and puts down the other dc. It happens.

If her dc hasn't been star of the week and every other child has, then she does have a fair point. It's also one that if she has complained should easy to show her wrong if she is. Because the teacher should keep a record of it to stop a child from missing out. If the teacher hasn't kept a record of it, then I would say the parent is more likely to be correct than otherwise.

reni1 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:03:44

I don't see why you'd want to "put her straight"? None of your business.

Starlightbright1 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:29:18

I have re read this post.. who do you need to put straight? I am not sure why it is the job of the parents to do so?

rollonthesummer Tue 14-Jul-15 21:34:20

Well, has the child been star of the week?!

Lurkedforever1 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:57:30

Surely though you don't really intervene without being asked in other people's teacher/ parent relationships? And especially in the last week of y6.

DancingDinosaur Tue 14-Jul-15 23:01:53

Perhaps the parent has a genuine problem with the teacher. I had a huge problem with the way one teacher treated my dc1. But the same teacher was great with dc2 who is a very different personality. If the parents had got together to put me straight about dc1, I wouldn't have been very polite. Maybe you should mind your own business.

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 14-Jul-15 23:03:41

Nightmare parents go with the territory of teaching. I'm sure this teacher has handled many like her before and I doubt she needs you to step in and put things straight.

MidniteScribbler Wed 15-Jul-15 05:58:25

It's not your place to interfere between a teacher and another student, and any decent teacher would politely but firmly tell you so if you tried to interfere. Teachers should never discuss anything about another parent and student with anyone that is not authorised to be privy to that discussion.

We've all had that parent many times in our careers. A decent teacher is well used to firmly handling that parent whilst making them feel they are being taken seriously. PFBness doesn't always end when they hit school, and it often passes to subsequent children as well.

HPFA Wed 15-Jul-15 07:01:49

I agree with the opinions expressed here - my DD did brilliantly last year with a teacher that most parents weren't keen on and this year is the other way round. If this parent is negative about all the teachers then I can see why that's annoying but otherwise think it's up to the teacher to sort things out.

AccordingToOurRecords Wed 15-Jul-15 07:16:48

Did you ever make Lemon Drizzle for the school fate OP?

SuffolkNWhat Wed 15-Jul-15 07:25:29

grin According

IsItMeOr Wed 15-Jul-15 09:11:25

Nothing.

For all you know the teacher is not great for that DC and that parent is rightly concerned.

reni1 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:31:48

If you try and set her straight (which you shouldn't, none of your business), she might feel a bit ganged up on or bullied, I think I would if a delegation of fellow parents tried to tell me what I need to think.

She is her child's advocate, that is her role as a parent and if she feels the teacher is not fair to her dc, then she is doing exactly what any good parent would, speaking up for dc.

kgov1 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:51:33

If you are really happy with the teacher yourself, you could consider feeding back to the teacher and headteachers to explain why. I think sometimes we are keen to feedback when we are happy but forget to pass on the praise.

I don't think you should get involved with the other parent's grievance though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now