Talk

Advanced search

Reading levels

(4 Posts)
BlueBananas Tue 14-Jul-15 09:17:15

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but does anyone know what reading level a child is expected to be on at each age/school year?
I thought there may be an explanation in the end of year report but there's nothing

DS has just turned 6 (last Saturday) and is leaving year 1 this week, he is currently on orange books but I've no idea if this is good or bad or average?

Enb76 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:02:33

Orange is absolutely fine, bang slap in the middle of where he should be for his age. Remember that he is only just 6 and many of the class will be more than 6 months older than him. Keep reading with him over the summer - not books even but maybe The Beano or Adventure Time comics. At around this point they often 'click' and realise that reading is quite brilliant and then they fly.

Have a look here for reading levels www.readingchest.co.uk/6/book-bands

BlueBananas Tue 14-Jul-15 10:36:35

Enb thankyou, that link is brilliant, exactly what I was looking for
I think you're right about reading having recently 'clicked' with him, all of a sudden I'm not begging & bribing him to read his books so I've bought some books for his birthday that will hopefully be interesting enough to keep the momentum up through the summer
It's hard when the class are so much older (one boy turns 7 the day before they go back to school this year, so almost a whole year older than DS) because you just can't compare them, but he started the school year on red band so looking at that scale I'm really pleased with how much progress he's made actually grin

Thanks again!

Heels99 Tue 14-Jul-15 12:03:25

To achieve the standard required (Orange) is fine for a very young child in the year group. Do the summer reading challenge at the library. It's actually the school hols where some children practice their reading skills and others tail off through lack of support or practice at home. So just keep reading as a fun activity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now