Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find info on how to make all English words decodable?

(7 Posts)
bronya Mon 13-Jul-15 19:41:17

I have always worked out most of the rules but would prefer a proper document if there is one. E.g. y making yeh or igh or ee depending on word length and position within the word.

mrz Mon 13-Jul-15 20:04:44

beckclasswiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/SpellRead+Lexicon.pdf English Alphabetic Code - complete picture chart.pdf
ORT publish a phonics dictionary written by Debbie which covers the same content as her free code charts)

The easiest way to work it out is to listen to the sounds you can hear when you say the word and match them to the spelling of the word (so you're thinking of the sounds in your accent)

addictedtosugar Mon 13-Jul-15 20:06:52

I don't believe all English words are decodable to the extent you are trying to do it.

Looking at bough, rough, cough, dough - same position, different sound. (also through - but its a longer word)

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 13-Jul-15 20:11:46

The Sounds-Write English Spellings Lexicon might be of interest if you really want to go into depth.

www.sounds-write.co.uk/pdf-downloads.aspx

But I'd probably start with one of the Alphabetic Code charts from mrz's link.

mrz Mon 13-Jul-15 20:21:22

ough four letters one sound in bough and dough
ou two letters one sound gh two letters one sound in cough and rough

Basic concepts of phonics are
A sound can be spelt using one, two, three or four letters
One sound can have different spellings
One spelling can be different sounds ough can be /ou/ in bough and /oe/ in dough ou can be /o/ in cough or /u/ in rough

DoraGora Tue 14-Jul-15 18:16:29

You could try another language, if it's a universally phonetic one that you want.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 14-Jul-15 18:18:53

I think it's English that she wants specifically though.

Another language might not help with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now