Talk

Advanced search

Creationism in a science lesson?

(3 Posts)
curriculumIndigestion Mon 13-Jul-15 18:30:56

My DS (8) said that, in a science lesson, his teacher asked them to describe which animal they thought God would create next. I'm hoping he's misinterpreted something, but I'm contemplating having a gentle word with the teacher to see what she says about it.

I know that there are rules that academies can have their funding withdrawn for teaching creationism, but are there any equivalent sanctions for CofE Voluntary Aided schools? If I needed to quote some relevant legislation to remind them it's not allowed where would I find it?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 13-Jul-15 18:42:49

This might have some useful material for you eg the quote re the churches supporting the ban on creationism in science?

Iwantakitchen Mon 13-Jul-15 18:50:46

Maybe the teacher was answering a question coming from a child.

are you really trying to get your child's school to be in trouble, and have their funding cut? And it's a CoE school?

In DCs classes they dicuss this sometimes and I know my DSs see the Bible's creation story as a metaphor but they can still discuss it at school. I don't think that philosophical discussions about the creation of the earth/people/nature are banned. I think it's very healthy if children can discuss how we came to exist and if God comes into it for some children, then fair enough.

It doesn't mean that your school is 'teaching' creationism as a historical fact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now