Talk

Advanced search

SATS levels - a bit pointless?

(7 Posts)
mamaslatts Sun 12-Jul-15 21:34:32

DS has just finished Y3. His report gives him level 4b in maths and reading and 4c in writing. When looking at the nc levels, this seems to suggest he is 2 years ahead of the national average. I don't think DS is 2 years ahead (I think he's bright but not exceptionally so) and although he had a positive school report it didn't seem to suggest he was some kind of genius.

So, just wondering if there is any point to these levels as I'm not convinced they really give a true picture. DS says he's top set for maths but not for literacy. Does anyone else feel the sats say one thing whereas the reality seems to suggest something else or have I misunderstood what they are all about??

LynetteScavo Sun 12-Jul-15 21:37:24

But levels are no longer being used, and as the curriculum has changed, your DS isn't actually two years ahead anymore.

Confused? So am I!

mamaslatts Sun 12-Jul-15 21:39:37

I wasn't sure if he would get 'levels' score in his report but that's what the school has gone for. So they aren't being used, the curriculum has changed...even more pointless than I first thought!

LynetteScavo Sun 12-Jul-15 21:59:45

But I think it does show that your DS is quite good at maths, and although the new curriculum is harder, and DC are now doing maths previously aimed at older DC, your DS is probably ahead of most other children in his class.

mamaslatts Sun 12-Jul-15 22:05:26

Thanks Lynette it is hard to work out what's what but I guess the reason they are still giving levels is they have no other system and parents want some kind of mark or grade.

A group of 3 pupils (including him) are taken out of his class for extra maths at level 4 so thought he was strong in this area. I am shocked at what they are expected to learn/know at his age in terms of literacy though - he has spellings that some adults struggle with. (recently had 'beautician' - he didn't know what one is!)

christinarossetti Sun 12-Jul-15 22:07:05

4B was the previous expected level at the end of Y6, so putting your ds 3 years ahead in the old curriculum.

Except that the curriculum has changed and levels are no longer relevant, so using these to assess is indeed a monumental waste of everyone's time.

Sounds like he's doing well though!

mamaslatts Sun 12-Jul-15 22:09:53

Ha, it's too late, DM has told DS he is years ahead of his peers and he is revelling in his new found genius status! grin Don't want to burst his bubble so hope he's forgotten by the time he goes back in September!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now