Talk

Advanced search

Understanding NC levels in maths - confused!

(4 Posts)
NKc0c6427X1247b47bfa8 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:26:02

Hi
My ds has just completed year 6 at a prep school. At parents evening we were told for maths that he is level 6 on a year 7 paper but that this is lower than level 6 on a year 6 paper ie he is level 5 on a year 6 paper. Surely level 6 is level 6 irrespective of the paper??? I didn't want to waste the precious 5 minutes asking the teacher to explain as at the time I was more interested in finding out about his strengths and weaknesses, but now I am wondering what it means.
Can anyone shed any light?
Thanks

icklekid Sun 12-Jul-15 20:30:05

I'm afraid that makes no sense and we won't be able to help you will have to ask the teacher! She should know what level they are which would be the same regardless of any test/paper- maybe that's what she meant he is working at level 5 consistently however did achieve a level 6 on a year 7 paper (which would make me concerned about her accuracy at levelling but anyway...!)

Nowfeeltheneedtopost Sun 12-Jul-15 20:37:46

Agree, makes no sense. You'll have to ask the teacher.

Smartiepants79 Sun 12-Jul-15 20:47:58

Is he moving schools at the end of this year?
I know I'm the state sector the secondary schools are very wary of the levels they come up with into yr7. They often completely retest them and a sign them levels based on their own judgment. This might show a drop in levels.
However, I agree, what the teacher has said is meaningless.
The whole point is that level 6 is level 6. If they don't think he is level 6 then that's fine as a teacher assessed level.
Some test papers can be easier than others. Maybe that's what she means. That it's easier to get a level 6 on the yr 7 test??
You really need her to clarify.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now