Talk

Advanced search

Grading on new curriculum??

(8 Posts)
mummc2 Sun 12-Jul-15 19:12:45

At my daughters parents evening in march her teacher said she was previously 12-18mths ahead of where she needed to be but with the new curriculum being alot harder she was now just where she should be so even though it looked like she wasnt doing very well cos she wasnt ahead anymore she actually was (does that make sense?)

So at her parents evening she got given numbers I think she said expected for year 5 was 27-30 points and my daughter varied between subjects between these two numbers but was told she would be at 30 on everything by end of year.
However I received her report friday and they havent given points but:
Ww - working within year
Wt - working towards year
Wa - working above

Does anyone know which system is used next year for sats? How did your children get graded?

spanieleyes Sun 12-Jul-15 19:25:34

Any school can use any system they want, and they could change the system every year if they felt like it!!
27-30 looks like it could have been based on the old curriculum scores-as 27 points was equivalent to a 4b which is where an above average year 5 would be.
Next year we expect year 6 children to be given a standardised score for the whole national year group-so 100 would be average!

louisejxxx Sun 12-Jul-15 19:39:47

The 27-30 could also relate to the Stat Sheffield assessment method - one that a company has come out with and many schools have trialled (including my ds's)

There are 2 questions you need to be asking the school here:
- what assessment method is it they are now using
- why did you get told one thing and then presented with another!

mummc2 Mon 13-Jul-15 15:29:03

Thanks for all the replys we have an opportunity to speak to the school tomorrow about new grading so will speak to them

mummc2 Mon 13-Jul-15 15:32:47

it does state on the accompanying letter that no national system for grading has yet been decided upon for next year so will be difficult but im just guna keep working at home with her on her maths, spag and readibg/writing in general in the meantime

Fleurdelise Mon 13-Jul-15 15:57:00

At least you got something, we just got DDs report (year 3) no mention of where she is against the curriculum, nothing.

Just general comments for each subject, such as "she is becoming more confident with such and such, she progressed well etc" but nothing against the curriculum.

IS this normal I wonder?!?

mummc2 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:14:44

wow! not sure, my daughters school went through a period a few years ago of no headteacher / teachers coming and going so now we have a new headteacher she is really thorough and tries her best to let us know as much as possible.
They gave us one sheet which gave indetail report on literacy maths science and citizenship and r.e graded by the WW system as above. Then we received another sheet listing 13 subjects and down the side split into 3 sections - effort, progress and attainment in relation to national curriculum

mrz Tue 14-Jul-15 17:37:40

It sounds as if they are using standard points progress (based on old levels) 27 points would equate to a 4B

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now