Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

tips for prep.DD for Yr2 during aummer hols,pls?

(12 Posts)
Doc25 Sun 12-Jul-15 03:02:44

hi,
dd is 6yrs 8 months, just finshed yr 1 as per report done well. I just need to give her that push so that she can achieve prizes/certificates and motivate herself to move to a top student position from doing well..Any tips for preaparing as per new curriculum for year 2 ,please? Sorry in advance If I sound too ambitious , but cant help it!wink

Beautifullymixed Sun 12-Jul-15 09:12:00

As a TA in year 2, I would focus on reading lots over the holidays. Lots of talking about the storyline and characters.
Number bond revision. I say 4 - you say......
This can be done while cooking etc.
Maybe small sums up to ten, this can be done using marbles/grapes etc.

Other than that I wouldn't do any more. Let her brain relax.
Other essentials are dressing quickly and folding clothes into bags/onto chairs.
Mastering her coat zips/buttons.
Also being able to do her shoes and PE trainers up.
Being able to look after her things, pack her school bag and know where to put her jumper/reading book etc.

In year 2, the children are encouraged to be more independent and do things for themselves. I do not do up shoes all day nor search for lost jumpers. Most children manage fine though and soon get into a routine. It is easy to see the ones who have been taught at home though, and which children rely on mum to do everything for them. They soon realise that I'm not their personal helper smile

It really is a lovely year to work in. The children are a little more independent and you can explore games and challenges, but they are still young enough to have amazing fun with. For example, on Friday during golden time , I put on the song 'Feeling hot, hot, hot' and we did the conga around the classroom. They know I love a song and dance. I shall miss them sad

Ferguson Sun 12-Jul-15 19:29:15

Web sites worth looking at for all educational things are:

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

Woodlands in particular covers all curriculum areas.

And this is one of the best books that can last right up to secondary level:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

For more advanced Literacy concepts, consider books by Lynne Truss, and David Crystal.

[BUT also let her enjoy the holiday! YOU CAN 'help it': you just aren't trying.]

PerspicaciaTick Sun 12-Jul-15 19:31:01

[BUT also let her enjoy the holiday! YOU CAN 'help it': you just aren't trying.]
^^this

redskybynight Sun 12-Jul-15 19:49:13

Please don't make the emphasis the getting of prizes/certificates/being top student. That's entirely dependent on your child's cohort/teachers/school. Much better that they strive to better themselves - whatever level that might be.

slippermaiden Sun 12-Jul-15 20:14:12

Broaden her education? Learn to bake, make a bolognese, learn some wild flowers or birds and find them on a walk. These activities use reading, weighing, conversations.

Leeds2 Sun 12-Jul-15 22:09:37

Read with her, and let her read to you. Do the Reading Challenge at your library. Talk with her about the plots, characters etc just to check she has understood what she has read.

Otherwise, do as slipper says. Do fun things like cooking, board games, do the children's trail at local museums and national trust properties, but don't "force" learning upon her.

poisonedbypen Sun 12-Jul-15 22:17:36

Have fun. Let her be a child. Soon she won't be & you won't wish you had spent more time making her work in her holidays. Just read with her, bake with her, play with her.

noramum Sun 12-Jul-15 22:44:39

Reading challenge from the library
Lots of board games
Games on iPad/tablet or computer
General knowledge, go out and visit museums, nature reserves, look what is on offer at local attractions
Do simple science experiments at home
Do a diary or let her wrote a story
Have fun

I wouldn't want my child to study to achieve certificates, I want her to gather knowledge for the love of learning and discovery. It is good to do something to avoid the typical holiday slowdown.

DD loves workbooks so we do them over the holiday but only because she wants to not to add on what she can to achieve a prize.

Heels99 Mon 13-Jul-15 09:32:46

I wouldn't worry about prizes or certificates. The certificates in my dds y2 class have been for skipping, being a good friend, being well behaved at lunchtime etc. not related to academic achievement at all. The class mascot goes home for kind behaviour, working hard, listening not for academic attainment. My dd got a reward of the dinner lady for eating all her dinner which turned out to be she ate 4 portions of Apple crumble. Way to go dd! Teachers find a way to recognise all children. Even the poorly behaved ones in dds class have their own reward system where they can earn certificates etc. I guess if you are at a private school that does prize giving etc then it may be different, is that what you mean?

The Library reading challenge in the summer hols is good for certificates and you get a medal at the end. Brownies is good for earning badges through different skills. Swimming and gymnastics and most sports you can earn certificates, badges, medals etc.

In our house we focus on effort rather than on outcomes as we have twins with different talents.

Most of all enjoy the summer, keep up the reading and enjoy some sports, days out, holidays, trips and your child will be well placed for y2.

notinminutenow Mon 13-Jul-15 14:30:29

Nothing wrong with a bit of vegging over the summer hols but if you cannot resist doing 'work', pick fun learning activities instead:-

Summer Reading Challenge;
Write a few postcards to gran;
Cook some things that require weighing and measuring;
Keep a height chart so she gets to grips with cm and m;
Keep a diary or scrapbook;
Access the wealth of free and FUN culttural activities available at museums and galleries.

Others are right. You CAN help it. It all sounds a bit desperate and sad rather than 'ambitious'. You've said your child us doing well - celebrate that - who are you competing with? If you push too hard you risk taking all the fun out of learning. When she's all grown your DD is not going to remember with love the workbooks she did over the summer. She is going to remember time spent with you having fun outside in the sun.

My DS is in y7 - he would not have a clue which certificates/awards he received in y2 and neither do I!

Beautifullymixed Mon 13-Jul-15 19:38:35

^^^^^ Lovely post smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now