Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Phonics screening test

(8 Posts)
Liveonce Fri 10-Jul-15 18:19:16

Hi there,

My son is currently receiving extra help in phonics. He has just got 37/40 for the phonics screening test. Just wondering how this fares. Is it an average mark or quite good? Would anyone mind sharing their results to give me an idea. Another thread seemed to indicate that everyone was getting 40 but I'm not sure if that is just Mumsnet for you confused

thatsshallot Fri 10-Jul-15 18:25:08

Mine got 40 but pass is 32. School had done loads of practice and ds knew about alien words. He's average achieving btw just good at deciding. 37 is v good score, just just shows good at doing test, there's many more things to consider when assessing if child is doing well or needs support.

catkind Fri 10-Jul-15 18:49:20

That's great, really! Either he knows all the correspondences required and made a couple of mistakes, or he knows all but a couple and made no mistakes at all. That's got to be good either way hasn't it? Specially if he's coming from needed extra help.

meditrina Fri 10-Jul-15 18:58:56

It's a screening really.

So anything over 32 means the pupil doesn't need extra support.

There are only 40 words, designed to show if the pupils are competent at that level or might benefit from further support.

It's not really a case of having a 'high' mark, as anything over 32 'means' the same.

Your DS has done well, and it seems he is in a school which can intervene effectively when there is need. A good combination for future progress.

Liveonce Fri 10-Jul-15 19:51:22

Thanks for that. I'm just not convinced. He has been on an IEP and gets taken out of class for special phonics sessions. He enjoys them as he says it is so easy. He is currently reading ORT12 and consistently gets top marks in his spellings. I just don't get it. I was talking to a friend and she said her son always gets all his spellings wrong and so it's great that he can get the support. But I don't feel it's warranted for my son.

catkind Fri 10-Jul-15 20:16:37

If in doubt, ask the teacher. What did the IEP say? Were the reasons for it discussed with you when it was put in place? Often when they click with phonics it goes fast, so it could be as simple as he doesn't need it any more. Or there could be specific areas he still needs help.

elfonshelf Fri 10-Jul-15 21:35:26

DD has had extra phonics classes this year for 2 hours a week after school. Out of 60 pupils around 18 were having extra lessons - either because they were struggling or because they weren't achieving their potential. She got 40/40... well done phonics teacher!

I happened to have seen the school results for the phonics test and 37% of the year got 40/40 and another 21% got 39. 78% of the year got at least 37.

Don't know if that helps. The vast majority (over 80%) of the children are EAL, high numbers of FSM and slightly above average SEN, but the school is very high achieving academically by Y6.

minklydzo Sat 11-Jul-15 07:10:21

My DS got 39, which I'm very happy with. No idea how the rest of the class did though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now