Talk

Advanced search

What short words would be useful to teach DD2 to write before starting reception?

(52 Posts)
PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 13:57:35

Her nursery teacher said to start practising short words with DD2.

She mentioned 'was' and 'the'.

What else?

noblegiraffe Fri 10-Jul-15 14:00:37

Her name?

DS's school taught a specific way to form letters, and cursive straight away. Might be better to hold off so they can do it their own way?

MishMooshAndMogwai Fri 10-Jul-15 14:02:26

Oooo DDS teacher hasn't mentioned this but we do little bits as she likes to join in at homework time.

We do things like

Me, we, she, he, I
And, the, was, went
Dog, cat, fish, fox

At her school (starting September) they've asked that they can at least recognise if not write their own name but nothing more so I'm not worrying beyond that! getting her to dress herself is the challenge

TeenAndTween Fri 10-Jul-15 14:11:33

I don't think writing is important. And definitely don't do it unless you know how the school will be wanting them to form letters (e.g. entrance or exit flicks).

Can she do the important stuff?
- recognise name
- ask for help
- use toilet independently including washing hands
- open yoghurt pots
- put on and do up coat
- put on wellies
- wait turn quietly

Much much more important than writing some words!

PolyesterBride Fri 10-Jul-15 14:11:57

I think her name (first name and surname) is the most useful. Other words I would then do would be those that can be sounded out so starting with sounds like s, a, t then put them together to make sat. I wouldn't teach "tricky words" (those that cannot be read by a child using basic phonic rules eg she unless you're confident it won't confuse her when she starts to learn phonics). So I guess I would advise starting with sounds rather than writing eg what's the first sound in 'sun' - sssss. (Unless she knows all this already in which case ignore me!)

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:13:08

That is a great list. Thank you. thanks

She will be going to the same school where she went to nursery so luckily we know the way they form letters.

She can write her alphabet (struggles with a 'd' though, always starts in the wrong place and ends up going up in the middle instead if at the side if that makes sense)

She can write her first name and surname.

I think the words advice was to help her put her letters into practice.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:15:47

teenandtween - She can do all those.

I think benign neglect has made her quite independent grin

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:16:44

She might struggle a yoghurt pot actually but she will be having school dinners and they don't get pots of yoghurt I don't think.

Heels99 Fri 10-Jul-15 14:20:12

The main things are the things already mentioned above eg going to toilet, washing hands properly afterwards, using cutlery properly, sharing, waiting etc. I would add to that dressing and undressing self including turning clothes in the right way and putting PE stuff on and changing shoes, opening packed lunch packets and pots, lining up quietly, putting hand up when wanting to speak and there is so much emphasis on 'super sitting' it's unbelievable!

I didn't teach mine any writing which was a positive as they learned to form the letters differently to how I do! But obviously all encouragement for counting, recognising letters as long as you know the right phonic sounds they teach in school I.e not saying buh, suh, duh etc and enjoying books and reading is helpful. The summer library reading challenge is good as they continue to do that every year.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:24:37

She really can dress herself. She puts on her uniform for nursery by herself in her room every morning. I think we've also cracked getting the shoes on the right feet as I've not had to swap shoes half way to nursery for a while grin

I've just had parents evening where her teacher said she is very mature for her age and she helps other children with zips.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:27:05

She's been going to the toilet by herself for yonks and using her step to help wash her hands.

One accident at nursery when she got to engrossed in the computer and didn't want to give the space away grin

I think it's because she is a winter baby so one of the older ones.

Ycoitsid Fri 10-Jul-15 14:27:45

You're better off reading to her lots

enderwoman Fri 10-Jul-15 14:31:59

Once my kids could write their name they moved on to mum, dad and their siblings names.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:37:11

We do read. Lots.

ReallyTired Fri 10-Jul-15 14:40:10

Good gawd! Let her enjoy the summer. Teach her to swim, climb trees or ride a bike, draw or generally play. My daughter could just write her name when she started reception but she caught up the older hot housed autumn born children quite quickly.

What is she interested in? Learning is so much more than school stuff.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:52:28

For the record, (although quite why I have to justify this I don't know) In the Summer Holidays she will be;

Learning to ride without stabilisers.
Playing in the paddling pool.
Eating endless ice lollies
Playing with her friends and her sisters friends at the local park.
In our paddling pool (and other people's paddling pools)
Going on holiday where she will build numerous sandcastles, play in the sea and have opportunities to build a bird box and take part in outdoor nature activities.

We will spend a lot of time at our local community centre where she will see a circus show, tye dye T shirts, bake pizza and cakes, see farm animals and do more craft than you shake a glue stick at.

We will also be going to Peppa pig world and Legoland.

Does that make everyone feel better that we might spend 10 minutes a few times a week writing words/letters.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:54:41

I forgot to add in the hours she spend arguing with her sister

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:54:56

*will

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 14:55:53

Or should I say 'debating' as she is clearly being hot housed wink

Ycoitsid Fri 10-Jul-15 15:44:24

You or her reading is much more productive then her attempting to write. Writing boils down to fine motor skills and not intellect. You'd be better of doing more interesting things to develop fine motor skills.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 15:56:49

She's plays with Playdoh.

What else could she do?

I hadn't thought about teaching her to read myself. I could start doing that.

MadAboutMathsMum Fri 10-Jul-15 15:57:00

As it is the school nursery suggesting it, maybe they have some ideas?
I would have thought phonetically simple words would be best mum, dad etc.

PlayingHouse Fri 10-Jul-15 15:57:56

She knows all her phonic sounds so I guess it is the next step.

If writing is just about fine motor skills then I might do reading instead.

I really appreciate the helpful advice smile

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 10-Jul-15 16:03:39

Personally I wouldn't unless you yourself have strong grasp of phonics teaching and she is reading too.

The risk is you create confusion. Every year my mother (primary teacher) had to unteachable well meaning reading and writing lessons. Especially if letters were incorrectly formed, incorrect phonics had been taught (especially letters like m) etc. I'd do science experiments or learn hello in a few languages or something. smile

LibrariesGaveUsPower Fri 10-Jul-15 16:04:50

Cross post. Yes definitely reading before writing. Get some online phonics resources

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now