Talk

Advanced search

If A Child is Currently in Yr 5, How Will Yr 6 Differ From Previous Years?

(7 Posts)
member Tue 07-Jul-15 16:08:43

Dd2 is in Yr 5 & I thought the "new" curriculum had started back in September 2014 with the advent of more programming content in ICT, greater expectations in numeracy such as knowing all time tables earlier etc.

I also believed NC levels were being done away with although the Government hadn't suggested anything to replace them with so schools were using a mix of the old levels system or had designed new assessment levels particular to them.

Having seen a viral post doing the rounds on facebook & a post on MN asking about workbooks for the new curriculum, I am now somewhat confused & think my understanding is wrong?

The main things I want to clarify are:
1) is there now a nationally agreed assessment reference to replace the old NC levels?

2) Did the "new" curriculum begin in 2014? If so, are there further changes due in September 2015?

3) Were the 2015 KS2 SATS levelled as per the old system?

4) Will next years Yr 6 be sitting SATS?

Explanations in simple/layperson's terms please!

OldBeanbagz Tue 07-Jul-15 16:23:41

Watching with interest as i went to meet my DS's Y6 new teacher and she gave us no information re. SATs or the new curriculum. She also left herself short of time so was unable to take questions at the end of the session.

I did not feel inspired with confidence.

Contraryish Tue 07-Jul-15 16:26:35

I can answer question 3, yes!

FanSpamTastic Tue 07-Jul-15 16:38:39

Q4 - yes there will be SATS papers set in 2016. These will be tests in:-

- Reading
- maths
- spelling, punctuation and grammar

Some schools may also have a science paper - though only a sample!

Year 6 SATS are due to take place wc 9 May 2016.

There will not be a level assigned rather the child will be given a standardised score, the average for the school, average for the local area and national average.

see here

redskybynight Tue 07-Jul-15 16:39:41

1) not based on what I've read on MN (every school doing their own thing)
2) Yes new curriculum started in Sept 2014, but first statutory tests not sat until May 2016
3) yes
4) yes (but with different method of assessment, on new curriculum material)

member Tue 07-Jul-15 16:51:15

Thank you all & especially thanks for that link FanSpam

Extremely curious to see how they will express dd2's attainment in her end of year report!

mrz Tue 07-Jul-15 17:03:36

Children will be assessed in Y2 and Y6 against a national standard as now however results won't be reported as levels
A new national curriculum was introduced in September 2015 but children in Y2 and Y6 continued to follow the old curriculum as they would be tested on this
The only change for September is that all year groups will now be working on the new curriculum
Children in Y2 and Y6 in September will sit new national curriculum test which will be introduced next year
www.risingstarsassessment.co.uk/advice/key-stage-2-national-tests-2016/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now