Talk

Advanced search

KS2 SATS results

(8 Posts)
Contraryish Tue 07-Jul-15 12:42:08

I've just been told my son's SATs results. Apparently he got X in reading, and 3 Ys in maths, writing and spelling and grammar.

I've only ever heard three results quoted. Are writing and spelling and grammar generally amalgamated into a single mark or has he taken more papers than most?

Thanks

redskybynight Tue 07-Jul-15 13:00:06

No, everyone gets 4 marks. SPAG was only introduced recently (last year?) and I suspect is the one most people are not as bothered about, so that's probably whey you haven't heard it quoted before.

Contraryish Tue 07-Jul-15 13:01:18

Ah, OK! Thanks. That makes sense.

OpalQuartz Tue 07-Jul-15 22:51:32

My daughter was told her results today, which were Xa for spag (X is a number) and Xb/a for maths and reading. She thinks the teacher is going to check whether maths and reading are actually a "b" or "a" sublevel. Can anyone shed any light on why the teacher doesn't know a definitive sublevel?

dietcokeandwine Tue 07-Jul-15 23:07:05

I'm not sure Opal - DS1 brought home his results today but there were no sub levels at all.

OP as far as I understand it the DC sit actual exam papers in reading, SPAG and maths. Writing is teacher-assessed, as (in our school's case anyway) is speaking/listening and science.

Effic Tue 07-Jul-15 23:15:14

in order to calculate something called value added progress in a very long and turgid document called RAISE, the level bands are split into 'fine grades.' ie sub levels. This is done by a statistical process and the thresholds for these fine levels aren't available till end of October time. Its roughly thirds so I'm guessing your child's mark is on the boundary of one of these thirds so the teacher won't know. I've never heard of schools giving parents 'fine grades' though? Teacher assessment sub levels but not fine grades?

Effic Tue 07-Jul-15 23:15:51

Sorry - meant to say post is for Opal....

OpalQuartz Tue 07-Jul-15 23:59:43

Thanks, that's probably what it is. We haven't had the children's reports and sat results formally yet, but my dd said "We got our sats results today," and she told me the results and they had written them in their planner. (In previous non sat years we've always just had the assessed levels written in the report.)
It's of interest because the secondary school my dd will go to are told the "fine" sat results and they use them to help set targets and for setting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now