Talk

Advanced search

Is four miles far away for a DC's school?

(16 Posts)
Ruralorsuburb Mon 06-Jul-15 17:07:46

We're looking at moving but DS is settled at his school.

Is it feasible, do you think, to keep him there.

It's on the way into work etc so logistically fine. Thinking more about proximity to friends etc.

A suck it and see approach perhaps?

Rivercam Mon 06-Jul-15 17:10:55

I think it's feasible if he is settled and the logistics work for you.

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 06-Jul-15 17:12:27

I lived 3 miles from school and some friends lived another 2 miles out. But it was a catholic school so we all went to church together to.

I don't think it is that much of a problem personally.

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 06-Jul-15 17:13:42

What you might need to think about though, is the move to secondary. Is he likely to get into the same school as his friends? would that bother him?

Would you be better moving him to one near you now to make friends with the kids he will be going to secondary with?

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jul-15 17:14:11

If he's settled, give it a try and see how it goes? What's there to loose?

Ruralorsuburb Mon 06-Jul-15 17:16:54

Yes good shout re. the secondary school...

There are two and no, he wouldn't be in the same catchment as the one his friends will go to.

He only starts FT in Sept, so maybe worth moving him now.

Yes the catholic thing - there is a catholic school on our area and the kids travel from all over to it. Stupidly never thought about them all going to church together!

BitOfABoost Mon 06-Jul-15 17:24:39

We are 4 miles from school (nothing closer when we moved) and it is do-able - especially if it is on the way to work. It is a bit of a PITA. Playdates can make you think "Urgh...another schlep in the car." However my DC are in a primary that feeds into the local secondary where they all will be going - so all the same cohort.

However, sharing lifts, school discos (juniors and infants at different times) etc etc are not as easy to deal with.

We moved school when DCs were end of YR and end of Y2. They adapted brilliantly. The odd "I miss the old school/friends" but very rarely from the younger one.

If you can get a space at a nearer/catchment/feeder into your secondary I would - unless the school close by is utter shite and the one 4 miles away is outstanding.

TigerWhoCameForGin Mon 06-Jul-15 17:34:21

We're very rural, and 11 miles from school. I decided to leave DC there for the last 18mths after we moved (changing to senior school this year).

Previous to that we were 3.5 miles from school, but it was the closest one.

It's never been a problem.

Hulababy Mon 06-Jul-15 18:22:36

We lived just over 3.2 mile away from DD's primary school, and 3.7 miles from her secondary.

It was always fine. She still had/has a varied and active social life with friends. We just had to be prepared to help facilitate play dates, etc. Most of her friends were the same anyway so majority of parents were on board helping one another.

Teabagbeforemilk Mon 06-Jul-15 18:50:19

Ds starts in full time in September. We were worried he wouldn't get into the primary there, but he did. But there is a school closer, had he got in there we would have been ok with it, I think at that age a move is ok rather than later or having to leave their friends when 11.

Dd goes to secondary school this year and she didn't get into the same secondary as her friends. She was devastated, luckily we won the appeal. It was this situation that made me think of your ds going to secondary

isittheholidaysyet Mon 06-Jul-15 19:39:59

Our school has kids from a 10 mile radius. It is catholic, but 70 of the kids attending aren't, so they don't see each other in church. As many of us travel, no-one sees it as a problem.

Many travel 3/4/5 miles for the state primary of their choice too, but we are a semi-rural area so lots of people are used to travelling, (for work, supermarkets etc)
Might be harder in a big city.

LIZS Mon 06-Jul-15 19:47:36

Primary I'd say on the limit, secondary fine.

redskybynight Mon 06-Jul-15 19:53:12

How old is he? If he's Y5/6 might be tempted to leave him where he is. If only in first few years of school would move so he can make local friends.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 06-Jul-15 20:00:06

How much of a pain it will be will also depend on how local everyone else is. If they all live very close to the school and to each other it is worse. I notice and we are only 1.5 miles to most people's 0.5. or far under. Especially if there are any siblings in the mix.

Millymollymama Mon 06-Jul-15 20:45:06

Prep schools take from miles away. 4 miles would be nothing. You just have to work harder on friendships.

littlejohnnydory Wed 08-Jul-15 21:55:25

My ds used to go to a school four miles away. We'd chosen to send him to a village school outside the large town we lived in. It was do-able but difficult. It would have been fine with a car though, so as long as you drive I don't think it's any problem at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now