Talk

Advanced search

Report: what does this percentage mean?

(11 Posts)
TessDurbeyfield Fri 03-Jul-15 20:37:17

I am just looking at DS's yr 3 report and am completely confused by some numbers by the side of the report. All of the report is narrative save of a bit that says:

Progress in reading 92%, national average 57%
Progress in maths 94%, national average 64%

I don't know what on earth that means and google hasn't helped. Does it mean DS has made 92% progress and if so a % of what?! Or does it mean that the year has a whole have that % who have made appropriate progress?

Can anyone decipher it?
Thanks!

mrz Fri 03-Jul-15 20:42:21

You need to ask the school to explain.

TessDurbeyfield Fri 03-Jul-15 20:46:01

Thanks mrz - so it is not a standard thing to report? Unfortunately the school has now broken up.

mrz Fri 03-Jul-15 20:50:46

Schools are using different assessment methods so it could be anything

TessDurbeyfield Fri 03-Jul-15 21:31:23

Many thanks.

DiamondAge Sun 05-Jul-15 19:47:47

You could look at the narrative and compare it to the attainment aimed for by the end of Year 3.

To me these numbers say your DS has made excellent progress, however that doesn't tell you anything about his achievement against the hoped for attainment on completing Year 3.

You may be able to infer this to a degree depending on his Year 2 outcomes. For example if he was ahead (i.e. achieved a L3) then he may well have achieved well against the Year 3 requirements due to the excellent progress he has made. If he was behind, achieving lower than a 2b, he may still be working towards Year 3 attainment despite making excellent progress.

Of course I am speculating, but, on the face of it, those scores only indicate his progress and tell you nothing about his attainment and knowing both is more helpful than only knowing one or the other.

mrz Mon 06-Jul-15 07:08:31

Progress in Reading and Progress in Maths are tests produced by GL and the school is best placed to explain the results

TessDurbeyfield Mon 06-Jul-15 12:35:11

Many thanks for your replies and the link.
They do refer to NFER assessments in the report for English and Maths (with comments about the results being good but no numbers) so I guess that might be it. A bit meaningless to both putting them in with no explanation!

DiamondAge Mon 06-Jul-15 16:09:45

If they're NFER tests then the questions to ask are what was your DS's age standardised scores & to which percentiles do they equate. The former will be a number between 70 - 140 (I think), with 100 being average. The latter lets you know how many children of the same age nationally scored above/below your DS's score.

mrz Mon 06-Jul-15 17:04:22

www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products/progress-maths

mrz Mon 06-Jul-15 17:06:30

www.hoddereducation.co.uk/PiRA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now