Talk

Advanced search

Yr 2 Transition

(11 Posts)
Fullstop0 Fri 03-Jul-15 13:43:57

Hi my dd 7 will be starting year 3 in September and is very nervous, I want to start preparing her now, I aim to reassure her and maybe if she would like to we'll look at key stage 2 cirriculum in the hols to prepare her academically, but I also want to zoom right out and talk about how it's part of life to grow and change, I'll get a butterfly farm for the summer holidays and do that but is there anything else I can assimilate the message to her with, do other cultures/ animals celebrate change and growth? I wanted to do lots of colourful rich interesting things to prepare her, any ideas?

MrsKCastle Fri 03-Jul-15 14:12:35

Is she moving from an infants school to a separate juniors then? If so, what have the juniors arranged in terms of transition? Are most of her class moving up with her?

My DD is in the same situation, but the schools have both worked together so well that it seems really smooth. DD has visited the new school, spent a day there and has already been assigned an older 'buddy'.

I would be a bit wary of emphasizing change too.much, point out any obvious positives (bigger playground? More activities on offer? Tablets in classrooms?) But also reassure her that many things will still be the same.

DeeWe Fri 03-Jul-15 14:42:34

I think I would just treat it as "what fun, lots of new opportunities".
Don't make a big thing of it, much more likely to make her nervous.

slippermaiden Fri 03-Jul-15 14:47:42

My child is doing the same, but I haven't thought of it as any different as going from year 1 to 2. We are just looking forward to the holidays ��

iamnotaponceyloudperson Fri 03-Jul-15 18:04:56

What kind of school is it, small, large, private, state, separate infants/juniors?

In my DCs' school (2 form entry) moving from 2-3 meant a different playground, cloakroom and gate and they were expected to be left at the gate, everything else the same.

Vagndidit Fri 03-Jul-15 18:13:08

I must be completely naive but I really don't find it that much of a big deal. We're in a big R-y6 primary school so the change of environment is minimal. As far as I can tell, the only differences for Y3 vs Y2 are an earlier start time and the need to wear a tie with the uniform.

Presumably if you're transitioning from an infant school there would be have been a visit day of sorts.

Kids will take their cues from you; if it's no big deal for you, they'll hopefully follow your lead.

Good luck!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 03-Jul-15 18:43:30

Even in some straight through schools there can be big changes.
Writing down your own homework
Being responsible for choosing own book
Making sure you get stuff out of school bag to give to teacher
For DD lunch was no longer brought to you

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Fri 03-Jul-15 20:54:22

It can be quite a change vagndidit. Less so if you are in a big run through school, sure, but my DD moves from Y2 at a small 1930s building infant school to a modern open plan junior school on a large site about 20 minutes away. She will have visited once before starting there in Sept. As it happens I think she will be fine, but I can imagine some children finding the change quite difficult.

Fullstop0 Sat 04-Jul-15 14:19:29

If only life was equal and everyone experienced the same, my dd has only been at the school 5 weeks and just got used to the current class and kids I think the idea of moving again to the juniors is twice as daunting, thanks for the supportive comments x

MMmomKK Sun 05-Jul-15 02:02:54

Given that she just started at that school - it sounds more like and anxiety driven by another change of school (in her mind) and less that of by academic pressures in Y3.

I wouldn't even bother with KS2 material. Instead, I'd focus on more of the social aspect of change. Best thing is to have play dates with any of the kids that are moving to the junior school with her. New schools can be terribly lonely for any kids until they make at least one friend.

Dd1 changed schools this year and started Y3 among a large cohort of kids she didn't know. The whole of last summer she was telling me she didn't want to go to the new school. So, she started in Sept. in a sad mood.

She is not the most extroverted child, so it took until half-term to make a handful of friends. And until the end of first term to stop feeling sad about her old school.

It all takes time. Now she is fully adjusted and happy.

mugglingalong Sun 05-Jul-15 06:30:38

I agree with MMmomKK talk to her teacher and ask them who she is playing with (if your dd won't tell you). Plan some playdates. The summer is a good time because even if you are lazy like me and don't want the hassle of tidying up only to make it messy again, you can suggest a trip to the park etc. I find it best to go to a park which is slightly further from school so there is less chance of them bumping into other friends and deserting one of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now