Talk

Advanced search

Primary Schools in Muswell Hill

(10 Posts)
Cstyle Mon 29-Jun-15 10:25:22

Hi Parents!
My twin boys will be starting reception next year 2016. I am looking at primary schools in Muswell Hill. I really like Rhodes Avenue. Does anyone have any hands on information about this school? Also, any other schools in Muswell Hill you would recommend?
Any information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. This school searching is so stressful!! ����

Allconsumingshitstorm Mon 29-Jun-15 12:59:35

Where do you live? That will restrict your options somewhat

PennilynLott Mon 29-Jun-15 13:10:45

If you're in catchment for Rhodes Avenue, your only other option is Alexandra

Cstyle Mon 29-Jun-15 23:13:53

Hi Allconsumingshitstorm,
We don't live in Muswell hill yet. We live in Bayswater and are looking to move to Muswell hill ASAP. I'm just trying to get information on schools there before we make the move and so I can get in the right catchment.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 29-Jun-15 23:21:04

Rhodes avenue, muswell hill primary and tetherdown are all lovely schools. Your problem is going to be ensuring that you are definitely within catchment for any of them. All primary schools in the area are very over subscribed, you need to check catchment very carefully. Often less than half a mile, and there are some roads where you wouldn't get in to any of them.

electionfatigue Tue 30-Jun-15 09:41:59

Lovely schools but in some of them most children have a tutor from about year 4 - tutoring for 11+ private/grammar or to get into the top set at Fortismere. Tetherdown recently downgraded on Ofsted because they were relying on tutors and not stretching the bright kids.

whereismagic Tue 30-Jun-15 12:15:58

Not very helpful but we nearly bought a house 3 years ago in Rhodes Avenue catchment area. When our son started reception last year we would've been just outside of it.confused

Northlondonma Thu 02-Jul-15 22:25:18

Check the haringay website for last year and look at the last distance offered. You need to be very close to the schools. I would say .2 of a mile to be sure that you will get in. All the schools are great but they are all different. So you would need to check them out and decide which is best for your children. It's a fabulous area to love in though.

fromheretomaternity Mon 06-Jul-15 19:03:19

rhodes avenue is fantastic, very tight catchment! very community orientated, high quality teaching, nice (new) buildings, next to a park. 2 boys go there and very happy. new head teacher just arrived but no reason to think that will be negative.

fromheretomaternity Mon 06-Jul-15 20:46:49

Right, kids in bed so add...

Local area here is really v nice, quieter than central muswell hill, short bus ride to tube, fab local park for kids to play in

as electionfatigue says there is tutoring going on from about yr 3/4 but not because of any deficiency of the school but because there are a lot of parents trying to get kids into grammar or top streams of APS. Not really necessary as school does a good job.

APS a good secondary, worth thinking about now as you would not want to have to move later

If you can't get near Rhodes also have a look at Coldfall

Anything else you want to know about Rhodes let me know...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now