Talk

Advanced search

How to support Y1 drawing

(8 Posts)
PotteryLottery Sun 28-Jun-15 09:06:13

Y1 DD likes to draw and is good-ish at it, however, I can't even draw a straight line.

So how can I help her progress?

Sirzy Sun 28-Jun-15 09:07:39

Can you not just let her carry on drawing and improving through enjoyment? Maybe buy some "how to draw anything" type books she can use to copy things?

PotteryLottery Sun 28-Jun-15 09:17:59

Sure, I could just let her carrying on but I thought arty parents do or say something constructive... I help with times tables but I feel I neglect art.

I love the how to draw books, they have helped me no end smile DD not so interested in them at the moment.

lolalotta Sun 28-Jun-15 18:53:29

Just make sure she has plenty of supplies to hand if you're able to afford them. A student quality watercolour set might be worth investing in if she's keen as the colours will be so much more vibrant than kids sets (Daler Rowney or Windsor and Newton are the brand names to look out for) and a few brushes that are better quality than those you might find at ELC would be useful. I've noticed some nice packs in WH Smiths which aren't to expensive, again go for student quality rather than those aimed at kids. It might be encouraging for her if you sit down to draw with her too, maybe create a still life of some bits and pieces you find on a walk... a fir cone, or a flower or some leaves. Don't worry that you no good, you might surprise yourself and children don't see it that way anyway. It doesn't need to be anything complicated but it might help her understand that inspiration is all around us and is there for the taking.
She might like to try out different sorts of mark making, for instance you could sharpen a stick and let her play around with that and a pot of poster paint, or she could try out what textures she can achieve by dipping an old paint brush in paint and flicking that on to the paper. Or applying paint with the end of a cotton bud.
Make sure she has the tools available and just let her play, she'll find her way!

Ferguson Sun 28-Jun-15 19:25:26

Not really 'art' but primary schools often do leaf, tree bark, or coin rubbings, using thin paper and wax crayons. Looking at, and enjoying, the textures, may prompt other ideas.

I was never brilliant at drawing or painting, but I was good at Technical Drawing, using rulers and drawing instruments.

And of course, these days 'computer art' is a valid medium; either 'bit map' programs like Paint, which record the coloured pixels, (and use a lot of space), or 'vector drawing programs' which store the INSTRUCTIONS to make the picture, and consequently use very little space. There will be educational versions, but this shows what can be achieved:

www.xara.com/uk/gallery/?p=pgd#!

(In Xara gallery, click on the 'magnifier' symbol on any 'thumbnail', then on the side arrow to go through the list; or close the image on the 'X' and choose a different one.)

hackneyLass Mon 29-Jun-15 00:52:49

Art shops sometimes do drop in sessions for kids - either guided or a table of materials to play with. And most museums/galleries do (free) kids sessions. Might give you both some new ideas for materials / techniques / themes....

Seeline Mon 29-Jun-15 09:03:36

I agree with PP about making sure she has a variety of materials to use.
Also try exploring different forms of art - collage, print making, pattern making, bubble painting, finger painting etc to help explore pattern, shapes and colour.
Experiment with drawing different things - imaginary pictures, landscapes, detailed drawings of flowers or fruit, more urban scenes such as close ups of buildings etc.
There are brilliant 'how to draw' videos on YouTube which do step-by-step instructions for more cartoony-style things. My DD loves those.

SisterMoonshine Mon 29-Jun-15 09:05:24

I was also going to say about school holiday workshops at art galleries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now