Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find fab educational websites / work sheets to do with kids after school?

(11 Posts)
Holymoly321 Wed 24-Jun-15 10:14:09

Hi all, having seen some the homework etc set by other schools in our area, my DH and I are getting concerned that our two DC's (Y2+ Y4) aren't getting enough homework or educational structure at school. We'd like to supplement it with worksheets and fun websites to give them that little extra bit of help. I hate to sound like a tiger mum, and I would def say I'm pretty far from that, but obvs we want to give the boys the best opportunities that we can. We don't mind paying subscriptions if required, but free would be good too! DC's are both involved with cricket, rugby and football clubs and so time after school is precious, but it's we are getting very concerned and feel they need more help with the education side of things. We're also keen to get them to do a little bit say, every other day for 30 mins or so during the school holidays. Can anyone suggest good places to get worksheets from or good websites with fun educational games/tasks? Many thanks in advance.

Cloud2 Wed 24-Jun-15 14:14:39

www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/maths/

This is for KS1, DS2 liked it. And school has given out Education City website, we hasn't used it much but heard it is good. I prefer buy worksheets from shop myself, like Bond.

Holymoly321 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:11:44

Hi cloud, where can I buy worksheets from? Thanks

daisydalrymple Wed 24-Jun-15 19:24:16

M&s and wh smiths etc do printed workbooks which support the curriculum. We've liked the m&s ones, they do age 3-5, 5-7, 7-9 I think. Things like spelling, maths, a bumper one with bits of everything in (have a look online)

Oxford reading tree online is good (can't do links on phone sorry)

Ferguson Wed 24-Jun-15 19:59:56

These are a couple of the best websites, and Woodlands in particular has a vast amount of educational resources:

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

This is a useful book for primary and into secondary, and will clarify any reading or spelling difficulties:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

BlueChampagne Thu 25-Jun-15 16:22:02

We lile the Professor Mathmo times tables and fractions CDs www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-Mathmo-Voyage-Times-Tables/dp/B00BIKDF9E

How about apps like Squeebles and Pocket Phonics (PP might be a bit basic for Y2)?

www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2literacy.html
www.crickweb.co.uk/ks2literacy.html

BlueChampagne Thu 25-Jun-15 16:22:57

Sorry, second link was supposed to be this www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/mentalmaths/tabletrees.html

DonkeyOaty Thu 25-Jun-15 16:29:01

Curve ball but do consider joining your local Wildlife Trust to expand knowledge of nature 'n' stuff. Loads of low cost/free access.

I remember our lot dissecting owl pellets under supervision at that age at an event.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 25-Jun-15 16:30:00

Thanks incognito. I was seeking just the same sort of thing.

letsghostdance Thu 25-Jun-15 19:20:23

Sumdog is brilliant. The kids in my class love it and they all play it at home (and I know that's true because I track them!)

EarthboundMisfit Mon 20-Jun-16 07:13:27

I like readtheory and khan maths. BBC Bitesize is great too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now