Talk

Advanced search

Lack of Shade for Outdoor Events

(12 Posts)
Oxfordblue Thu 18-Jun-15 09:28:03

The other day our school had an outdoor event.

The kids were all sitting in the sun, only 1 or 2 had hats on.

Quite a few of the kids are sun kissed as are the parents that were watching !

Does the school have a requirement to ensure there is shade for the children ?

I've been looking in line but can't find anything.

PattiODoors Thu 18-Jun-15 09:45:35

Where were the children's hats?

No guidance afaik

Presume Sports Day? Why not suggest to PTA that you fundraise to enable purchase of a series of pop up gazebos. That would be gratefully received I'll bet.

TeenAndTween Thu 18-Jun-15 11:29:50

Our school has no shade for sports day.
The PTA have funded gazebos for the children.
Parents sit in the sun.
Lots of reminders re hats and sunscreen.

Millymollymama Thu 18-Jun-15 11:45:27

At the small private school my DD attended, for a short while, the parents sat in the shade and the children sat in the sun on sports day! I would have thought by now that teachers and parents should understand the provision of shade, sun screen and hats! Gazebos are a great idea too but parents also need to ensure use of a really good sunscreen together with a hat that also protects the back of the neck.

wankerchief Thu 18-Jun-15 11:55:05

The parents should make sure they are in hats and suncream.

Oxfordblue Thu 18-Jun-15 16:54:23

I agree about hats, although it's wens most parents don't manage to get a hat on their child's head.

Would have thought common sense would prevailed & the school wouldn't have made the children sit in the hot sun, with no shade, in the middle of the day. confused

FabulousFudge Thu 18-Jun-15 21:12:46

That is terrible! I would write a letter recommending this is rectified for future events. The children should be wearing sun hats at playtimes and lunchtimes too.

TalkinPeace Thu 18-Jun-15 22:22:59

maybe the parents wanted to reduce the childrens' long term risk of getting MS, rickets, metabolic disorders and myopia

as a good dose of sunlight is the best prevention

Mopmay Thu 18-Jun-15 22:36:09

Parents should send in hats and sun cream surely? Mine have both in bags - but won't always wear them.
Kids need sunlight and not every school can provide shade for all on fields etc
Was it a heatwave OP?

Oxfordblue Sat 20-Jun-15 00:35:12

I'm not a fan of sun cream, I think 1 child had a hat on.

Yes I agree kids need sun, they shouldn't however be sitting in direct sun for 45 mins at lunchtime getting burnt !

SavoyCabbage Sat 20-Jun-15 00:54:21

We are in Australia and there are a LOT of sporting events. Our school doesn't make sure there is shade. But every child and teacher wears a hat.

Heifer Sat 20-Jun-15 15:08:45

I don't think there is any need for shade, but children should def be encouraged to wear suncream and hats.

Thinking about DDs sports day recently, the infacts all had hats on, but by year 6 not a hat to be seen (including my DD tbh, although she did have suncream).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now