Fourth on the waiting list for our first choice school

(28 Posts)
Threesoundslikealot Wed 17-Jun-15 17:19:15

Please tell me your stories of getting into your preferred school from the waiting list?

InexperiencedDisneyMum Wed 17-Jun-15 17:40:38

5th place took us 4 months into the term starting to be offered a place and that was only because 1, 2, 3 and 4 turned it down.

Blu Wed 17-Jun-15 17:49:41

How big is the entry? 1 class, 2, 3 or 4?

I know people who were offered places at first preference schools in the first week or first few weeks of term. People who had moved and not informed the school or LA, people who had accepted private places and not turned up...people who had accepted their higher preferences in another school.

Places come up well into the first half term. Later if the school has a January intake for younger children.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 17-Jun-15 18:01:03

We were sixth. We didn't change position from May to August. Don't know what happened after that.smile

nlondondad Wed 17-Jun-15 18:28:17

Places do come up at schools in the first week of term, and of course at that stage they can be difficult to fill. Schools find this so frustrating! Can you imagine how irking it is to be a highly in demand "sought after school" with lots of first preference applicants and STILL find yourself with a vacant place (and lost funding).

Having said that schools do vary a bit in how many "no shows" they get.

So, for example, there are a few schools in affluent areas where "no shows" due to a private school place becoming available happen. In inner London people can move away and not inform the school.

In isolated country schools its rarer.

MrsBungle Wed 17-Jun-15 18:31:08

We were 4th for dd's school on offers day. In May we went to third. I phoned up in end of June and asked about the place and was told 2nd. The next morning an offer letter arrived! We got our place a couple of days before the induction visits. This was a two form entry school.

satinpillowcase Wed 17-Jun-15 19:40:17

15th. Took until the first term of Year 3.

Threesoundslikealot Wed 17-Jun-15 20:37:49

Thanks all. We were 7th on offer day and have moved to 4th. It's a two class entry this year - a one class school on a bulge year. Zone 2 London so madly over-subscribed but hopefully movement. Overlapping catchment with THE local primary school beloved of the middle classes, so I'm hoping it is yet to lose some children to there by the start of the school year.

Faz2015 Wed 17-Jun-15 23:54:17

im 33rd on the waiting list for our first choice.. and im still hopefull ;-)))

mrsmortis Thu 18-Jun-15 10:33:34

We were fourth on offer day and got a place mid-June.

CB2009 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:15:00

We were 3rd on wait list for preferred school on offer day. Single form entry. Heard around June time and made induction in July. I maintained regular contact with council and school without being too much of a complete pain. Many other people got in after us - further down the list. Some as late as week before school. Some in first few weeks of September term. Fingers crossed

Northernlurker Fri 19-Jun-15 17:24:51

We were first and got a place one week after the first allocation. I think your chances are still reasonable.

Threesoundslikealot Mon 29-Jun-15 20:10:47

We've moved up to third. In my dream world there is a place now and the people above us will systemically turn it down until it gets to us!

FieldTrip Mon 29-Jun-15 20:18:58

In your circumstances I imagine there's also the possibility that some parents who have "only" been offered your first choice rather than "THE" school might decide to go private?

bingandflop Mon 29-Jun-15 20:24:15

What's the school like you have been allocated? We are 4th on list for our first choice but I've come round a lot to the school we got (3rd choice ). We were actually offered a place at our 2nd choice last week and turned it down

Threesoundslikealot Mon 29-Jun-15 20:24:19

Yes, definitely. Also a friend lives next door to one of the governors of my desired school and they are always able to offer places in September owing to no-shows. I'd love though to get a place in time to prepare DD a bit.

BagsyThisName Mon 29-Jun-15 20:26:00

We were offered first day of school.

One other got a place in Feb.

Given you are in London I would say chances are good.

Threesoundslikealot Mon 29-Jun-15 20:27:02

Our allocated school is... fine. Bigger and more urban than our first choice. I went to the parents' welcome morning and didn't warm to it remotely, or the EYFS stage. But a friend, whose parenting values are very similar to mine, has two children there and is extremely happy with it. If we end up moving, our place will be snapped up within an hour.

BagsyThisName Mon 29-Jun-15 20:28:00

Yes, DS was very upset when we told him. That lasted about 4 hours though.

Threesoundslikealot Mon 29-Jun-15 20:28:24

EYFS staff that should say.

Threesoundslikealot Mon 29-Jun-15 20:29:50

Bagsy, that's good to know. DD is incredibly excited and talks all the time about her future school, especially with her preschool friend who is also going.

BagsyThisName Mon 29-Jun-15 20:43:45

And you also have to be positive about the school they are going to! I think we did that bit rather too well.

Does your DD know anyone at your first choice school? Might be a good idea to cultivate a friendship or two over the summer. DS started not knowing anyone which was very hard (he also only knew one child at the original school, despite my best attempts at talking to the other mums so it didn't make much difference really)

3asAbird Mon 29-Jun-15 21:17:01

I'm bristol and been waitlist most if reception year got 3rd preferences offered few weeks ago..

Still awaiting 1st preference siblings year we been no 1 last 6months but no one's left.

We currently 3form infants younger ones and 3 people out 75 left this year.

Longer child in school more unlikely is to move so you bump up waitlists faster after Christmas but all the wait to sept and loads offers never happened sadly.

Threesoundslikealot Mon 29-Jun-15 21:43:42

So when did you go up to first place for reception, 3?

Annoyingly, Baggsy, the only child from her preschool at first choice school does different sessions to her. If I knew she was going there I would be cultivating like mad. A boy she was at nursery with when younger is going there, and I'm friends with his mum, so that is a goer. At least she's not soulmates best friends with the girl going to current choice school so I think she will get over that one sooner rather than later.

Threesoundslikealot Wed 08-Jul-15 17:14:54

For anyone interested in our dull little story, we remain third on the list, but now know that there are two places on offer, and I've met one of the parents involved and she's probably going to turn them down. So it's a waiting game.
Poor DD is so upset at the idea of not going to the original school that we're not even allowed to say the new school's name. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now