Talk

Advanced search

Exeter / Torquay schools? Help!

(7 Posts)
nebzil Tue 16-Jun-15 12:36:22

Hello. We are planning to move to either Exeter or Torquay and have boys aged 6 and 7. I hear bad things about schools in Exeter - is this from years ago or is there still a problem? We don't have cash for private schools and aren't religious (but I guess we might have to just cope with a religious school if we had to.) Does anyone have any thoughts for me? I understand there is a grammar in Torquay. Does anyone have experience of it? We live near London at the moment and are desperate to get away and nearer the beach/outdoors, but don't want to end up isolated in a small place. Might we feel that in Torquay? How long does it take to get to the beach if you live in Exeter? Any ideas very gratefully received! Thanks

sarahplustwo Tue 16-Jun-15 13:33:13

Going by Ofsted reports there are several excellent primaries in Exeter. Having lived here for a while I haven't heard any horror stories as such although there are better and worse as there would be anywhere. Recommendations would have to wait until you know where you'll be...I wouldn't want to be doing a school run across the city.

I find Exeter to be a good balance of countryside and city, Exmouth, Budleigh, Teignmouth etc are all seaside towns from 15 minutes but less than 30minutes from us but again, this would depend on which can side of the city you are.

Good luck with the move, feel free to message me if you've more questions!

nebzil Tue 16-Jun-15 16:23:48

Thank you so much - that is all really interesting. We hope to come down and spend a weekend looking about which hopefully will help. Do you know how long it takes to get from Exeter Torquay? Also, my sister says the shopping in Exeter is good - would you agree?

sarahplustwo Tue 16-Jun-15 19:38:51

It's not a journey I've done but I think it would be around 45 minutes.

Shopping in Exeter is lovely, all the essentials, some higher end and some lovely independents too. Make sure you explore if you do come down for the weekend!
As I said, do let me know if I can answer anything else, if not, good luck with it all!

Ferguson Tue 16-Jun-15 20:04:05

There are boys' and girls' grammar schools near Torquay, and also a mixed grammar further out towards Brixham direction. There is Westlands in Torquay, which may be comprehensive but with a grammar stream I think.

There is a good range of primary schools in the area.

But the whole district gets crowded and busy 'in season' with possible traffic delays; a link road by-pass is due to be completed by Christmas, which is 'intended' to ease congestion.

I was a TA in Paignton for ten years, now retired.

Newton Abbot is only a few miles away, and has good schools, and possibly a better area to live than Torquay or Exeter, though away from the town centres is better for residential property.

Here is a link may help:

www.torbay.gov.uk/secondary-schools

Tanito279 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:05:17

I grew up in Torbay, moved away for 10 years and just came back with a toddler. Compared to Exeter it is a very slow pace of life with not the best shops. The roads are manic in summer. But the schools are fantastic. I haven't heard any rumours about primary schools to stay away from or with troubles. Many are ofsted outstanding. The grammars are great (I went to the girls grammar, there is also a boys grammar in Torquay and a mixed grammar in brixham). 45-60 mins to get between Exeter and Torquay on a normal day, longer at rush hour especially in the summer holidays. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Loveskiing1981 Tue 16-Jun-15 20:35:08

Hi, we also moved back to Torquay with our two young children after living away since uni and we love it! Wonderful place to live, (if you choose right areas - like most places) amazing beaches, and so much to do if you like the outdoors. Lovely new development on Torre Abbey beach for eating out...Nebzil please feel free to PM me if you want more detailed advice on schools...we had lots of to-ing and fro-ing with this but all settled now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now