Talk

Advanced search

Vita et Pax Preparatory School (Southgate/North London)

(9 Posts)
Kaw123 Mon 15-Jun-15 22:28:44

I am considering this school for my child for reception 2016. Are there any current parents at the school who can provide their views, pros/cons, or any other potential parents who have done research? Thanks in advance

ag123 Fri 19-Jun-15 17:51:36

Hi there,
We are due to be starting at the nursery this September 2015 so can't really give any actual feedback but was impressed by their ethos and the way they seem to be not too hot-housey but still get good results (i.e. a high proportion into grammars etc). Did you not consider the nursery class?

2kidswhatschool Tue 15-Nov-16 21:14:54

Hi, just wondering if you're happy with vita et pax? I have a daughter and son (3&1) and vita is the closest private co-ed to my house. I haven't had a look around yet and wondering if I've missed the boat for reception 2017. Any information anyone has on the school or admission policy would be greatly appreciated.

Otterspotter Thu 17-Nov-16 19:30:58

Hi,
My child was there for nursery for a year. He loved the nursery and I found it to be very nurturing, a lovely environment.
There has been som disruption with the headteacher recently- the old headteacher of several decades retired at Easter this year. A new head started but only lasted a few weeks, then the old head had to step back in! There is another new head due to start in January.
With regard to admissions, it's completely dependent on how many applications they have had this year. A large proportion of the current nursery will be staying on for reception '17, but in all honesty I'd be surprised if there weren't a few spaces still at this stage.
Hope that helps

2kidswhatschool Thu 17-Nov-16 19:55:25

Hi Otterspotter. Thanks for your reply. I haven't been able to contact the school yet as we've had a flu bug hanging around our house. Is your child still at the school? Would you say that there is a strong focus on academics? How does it compare to a local state school? I'm currently considering stormont in potters bar and manor lodge in Shenley. I'm having such a difficult time choosing!!!

Otterspotter Thu 17-Nov-16 21:50:22

Hi,
No he got a place at a good local state catholic school so we went with that... Vita Pax has a lovely familial atmosphere, you get the smaller class sizes (though not that much smaller) and that bit of extra attention etc. I know someone who's child moved from an older class to a very well regarded local state school, and she said the work they were doing was comparable if not a slightly higher standard at the state school. It depends what you want from the school really. I think I get the impression that Stormont has a little more 'gloss' but it's not co-ed is it? I don't really know about Manor Lodge. There is Salcombe as well isn't there...

2kidswhatschool Sat 19-Nov-16 20:58:21

oh, well you've given me something to think about. I did get the feeling from reading reviews that it was comparable to a state school with regards to class sizes. Also interesting to hear about the state school work and how it compares. I think if Im paying for a private education I want it to be levels above not comparable otherwise I would do as you did and send to our local. unfortunately my local options aren't great which is why Im in the boat Im in. I wasn't crazy about Salcombe. I think it was the size mostly... I preferred the facilities or gloss smile at stormont. ugh wish this was easier!! Thanks again for your help.

Otterspotter Sat 19-Nov-16 22:00:25

I didn't mean to sound negative about Vita. It really was a very nice school and if I could have easily afforded the fees then I would have kept him there for sure.
I think the thing about the work being comparable is probably surprisingly common amongst prep schools other than 'top tier' (-nlcs, habs etc) ones.
Definitely look and see what you think for yourself. There is also something to be said for going to a school close to home smile

2kidswhatschool Sat 19-Nov-16 22:17:39

Hi Otterspotter. I didn't take it as being negative but you did touch on a few things I had been thinking about. I agree re: comparable work being similar to state in a lot of private schools this is why I'm leaning towards Manor Lodge which i found to be very academic but I also like the idea of kids being able to be kids and I worry that they may lose that if they go to a really academic school. I wish I wasn't so indecisive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now